Ati's Filtering Optimizations

rein

In the occ news section, i read the chatlog between ati and bjorn3d. In it, the ati rep states that the optimizations were first introduced in cat 3.4s. So im assuming theyre pretty well implemented in the cat 4.5s. He also states that the consumers should try adjusting the texture slider all the way to performance for a significant performance boost. According to him the loss in quality is unnoticable. Now i wanna test this for use with farcry. I dont know if hes referring to mipmap quality or the texture quality slider tho. I dont see what the big deal is if there is no real difference in image quality!

Edited by LinuXProX

I don't see why this is a problem.If I understood it correctly(which there's always the chance I didn't) it doesn't waste time on the fancy filtering if you can't see it.Seems like an agenda is being pushed here.

well i didnt bother running the tests to see the performance increase since im not happy with the amount of image degreadation that occurred during testing. Maybe im picky! See for yourself... actually come to think of it i cant post the images with out a host. :(

*EDIT*

Ok i found out why the image degrades so much. Its not supported by my 9800pro!

Finally, ATI takes image quality extremely seriously and we are confident that we set the bar for the whole industry. We don't undertake changes to our filtering algorithms lightly, and perform considerable on-line and off-line image analysis before implementing changes. This algorithm has been in public use for over a year in our RADEON 9600 series products, and we have not received any adverse comments on image quality in that time. If anyone does find any quality degradation as a result of this algorithm, they are invited to report it to ATI. If there is a problem, we will fix it.

Heres the link to the article at Rage3D for anybody interested.

Edited by rein