Hello (not Just A Hello Topic)

Hello, I'm HSS.

Alright, I have a question about overclocking. I'm new at the stuff (I read the FAQ though). I went on a trip to my BIOS and went to the FSB setting and notched it up to 166 MHz. After saving to CMOS, it restarts but I get no beep. Panicking, I shut it off and reset the CMOS. So I go back to BIOS and see the FSB at 100, so I set it at 133 and it works normally. What was the problem with this? Cooling (I'm upgrading to a Volcano 12 soon)? Motherboard?

Specs:

Biostar M7NCD

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ TB

Seagate 80GB EIDE HDD 7200RPM

POWMAX 300W Power Supply

3 Case Fans

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 (So sad)

128 MB DDR SDRAM PC2100 (should get two 512 PC3200 sticks in a week)

52x42x52x CD-RW Drive

Sony 1.44 MB FDD

D-Link D-520 Revision E.

Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks.

too fast...try to put the the fsb at 136...raise it in that incriment until it own't boot...then raise the vcore until it will...then continue...until you can't raise your vcore anymore do to bios or heat..then just knock it down a step...so its stable...

if you raised the FSB to 166 without touching the multi, it woulds be running at close to 2.5GHz. Most T-breds and Bartons have trouble after 2.4GHz (except mobiles), so as everybody else said, take it slowly.

If you can lower the multiplier on your CPU before overclocking the FSB.

That's what I noticed also, the RAM is holding you back, assuming the chip could take it. Nicer motherboards allow you to increment the FSB 1mhz at a time. You might consider upgrading (might check on a new PSU too)

his motherboard might be able to go in increments of 1 mhz but if he's got a setting set wrong in BIOS it'll only allow jumps of 133-166-200 my board was defaulted the same, there's definetley an option that you have to switcg over to manual or something similar but i can't remember for the life of me what it is