Zen 3 or 10th gen

Building up a new gaming rig and trying to figure out hardware. Case, PSU, and cooling is done, EK water cooling hardware, waiting on blocks until I figure out what to do. 

I know the waiting game is bad, wait for the next release and you'll always be waiting. But with the release of Zen 3 CPU's and pending Big Navi, the age old question is, wait for that or just get 10th gen Intel and 3080/3090 whenever there's actual stock available?

The answer really depends on what you planning to do with the system.

AMD will annouced the 4th Gen Ryzen  in October followed by the "Big Navi" aka 6800XT or whatever the final name is. 

Intel will release a refresh in 2021, though it seems to be rumored 8 core instead of 10.

Personally I would grab either a AMD 3900X or Intel i9-10850K. Both systems will cost about the same. If you are playing games at 4K, CPU doesnt matter. 1080 or 2K, Intel is slightly better (10fps more).

Doing workstation stuff the 3900X may edge out Intel depending on the workload.

6 hours ago, ir_cow said:

The answer really depends on what you planning to do with the system.

AMD will annouced the 4th Gen Ryzen  in October followed by the "Big Navi" aka 6800XT or whatever the final name is. 

Intel will release a refresh in 2021, though it seems to be rumored 8 core instead of 10.

The point of the gaming rig is just that. Gaming. I know AMD is announcing Zen 3 CPU's on 8 October and Big Navi on 28 October. Neither necessarily mean a launch next month, best bet is early to mid November for GPU nad mid to late October for CPU. 

I'm not in a rush. If I go AM4 or socket 1200, both will be changed on the next generation, so there isn't much of am upgrade path with the hardware. Most people don't want to wait, but for instance, 10900k marketing TDP is 125w, but for PL2, looking closer to 250w, while it appears AMD is more on the money with TDP, Zen 3 is rumored to be closer to 150w compared to 105w with the 3900x or so.  Waiting a few more weeks isnt an issue. Worst case, the new Zen 3 isn't really a big performance gain, so stick with 3900x or 3950, or go intel 10700, 850, or 900k, which should all be at a lower cost, with the new hardware release. 

With 3080 / 3090 impossible to get right this moment, waiting is really the only way. 

Gaming will be all 4k, not planning on 1080p or 1440p. There will also be some multimedia work as I have my server rack in my office. 

No kidding about the 10900K. Mine clocked at 5.1 (All-Core 1.275v) goes to 332 Watts with Prime95. 250 is standard for gaming.

However if you leave everything on stock and follow Intel guidelines of 55 seconds Turbo 1 core. It will be about 180 watts.

If you playing at 4K, AMD and Intel preform the same. You can see all the results in the OCC review.

AMD does greatly benfit from memory running 3800 MT/s to match the Infinity Fabric of 1900Mhz. Intel, not so much. Get a 4000 CL15 kit and your set.

23 hours ago, ir_cow said:

No kidding about the 10900K. Mine clocked at 5.1 (All-Core 1.275v) goes to 332 Watts with Prime95. 250 is standard for gaming.

However if you leave everything on stock and follow Intel guidelines of 55 seconds Turbo 1 core. It will be about 180 watts.

If you playing at 4K, AMD and Intel preform the same. You can see all the results in the OCC review.

AMD does greatly benfit from memory running 3800 MT/s to match the Infinity Fabric of 1900Mhz. Intel, not so much. Get a 4000 CL15 kit and your set.

That is essentially my plan. With the leak of the iffy benchmark, the supposed Ryzen 7 5800x is roughly 16% faster than the 10900k, but that is a take it with a grain of salt test. If the 5800k should be approximately against the 10700k, could be looking at 25%+ better from the top Zen 3 compared to 10th gen Intel. With just over a week until the announcement on 8 October for Zen 3 CPU's, I have decided to wait. 

Worst case, I stick with Zen 2 / 10th gen and get a better deal in a few weeks compared to now. Downside is my watercooling is just going to sit there waiting for my set up. But, I think this is going to be a decent setup and should prove well for overlclocks. 

Edited by Overclocker16