Flashed vBios and laptop wont start lol

retard

So I was being stupid and flashed my vbios on my 2080 Super and not sure what to do.. When I turn the laptop on, the screen just remains black.. I disabled hybrid mode so I think it may only be trying to run on the Nvidia GPU and not the iGPU but I'm not sure.. 

It's the Legion 7i.

Is there a way to correct this? I see tutorials online to do it blind but I'm not even sure if I can get into Windows since I disabled the iGPU..

I think one of the type c connectors is wired straight to the iGPU but don't have a cable to test.. Would this work if I bought the cable?

Can't believe I did this..

Any help would be appreciated!!!

You messed up and didn't do research. the vBIOS flash is only for the desktop cards. Laptop GPUs, while the newer ones (1000 series and on) have the same GPU as the desktop counter-part, but the VRM, memory and everything else that makes it a working video card is different. Its meant for a laptop with different voltage requirements, cooling and frequencies. This is why you will never find a tutorial or anyone successfully doing this. NVIDIA makes the mobile-GPUs, no other brands to flash it to. Besides the desktop cards, which you have found out the hard way that it doesn't work. 

If you did manage to somehow get it to work, I doubt it would have been stable, probably instantly overheat under load or burn out the VRMs.

As for flashing it back...well you could with a DOS flash drive and blindly try, but knowing it booted to the flash drive instead of windows will be impossible.

If you can somehow reset the BIOS so the iGPU is re-enabled, you can than proceed to use a DOS flash drive and re-flash it back (assuming you backed up the ROM!). Usually removing the battery will do the trick, but where is the battery located. That might be the hard part.

If your doing to windows, I don't know if the iGPU will be defaulted or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For future reference if anybody finds this thread off google all you have to do is reset cmos and it will boot back into its default settings which should be hybrid graphics.

And it is possible to flash a laptops vbios into one with a higher power limit.I've done it and no countless people who have also done it with success..

Shows what kind of place this is....Nobody bothered to help him when it is such a simple fix if your laptop has hybrid graphics.

First off I did suggest a CMOS reset if you actually read the replies.

Second.

Cant help someone if no one has done it before on these forums. We are just guessing how to fix it. The guide I wrote was for desktop GPUs....

If someone reference it and doesnt use it properly. Thats on them.

I'll stick to my orignal statment. It shouldnt work due to being a different GPU SKU.

People say it does, but it i don't suggest it. "Unlocking" the power limit on a laptop is a horrible idea. For example the RTX 2070 mobile has a 80 Watt TDP. Unloxking it to 200+ spells disaster to me.

Has anyone done a VRM analysis? I highly doubt it wil be the same 12-16 phase design. Not only is 200+ watts on a latop GPU a bad idea (cooling wise) BUT that VRM wil get toasty quick.

I think people who do this flash are asking for a laptop that overheats..