Newly Released RX 480 Appears to Have Power Draw Issues

but this is only effecting older boards that have poor power allocation

im having no issues what so ever.

Killing your motherboard should absolutely concern you. I wouldn't overclock at all till they sort this out!

AMD has released the promised statement and will be releasing a new driver within the next 48 hours (so Thursday). This new driver is going to shift more of the power draw onto the 6-pin connector, thereby reducing the draw from the PCIe slot. (The 6-pin connector is more resilient to drawing more power than it is spec'ed for, so a modern PSU shouldn't have a problem. Also I've seen some claims that because of how the power connector is designed in the RX 480, it can treat it like an 8-pin to draw more power. Something about the 6-pin configuration normally having one unpowered, but the card can have that pin be powered. I don't know how true this is though, hence the parentheses.) It will also add a Compatibility Mode toggle, that when enabled (default is off) will apparently drop the voltage of the card, to bring it under the 150 W. The performance impact from this AMD has said should be minimal, and as some people who have been testing with undervolting have found the performance improves, thanks to reduced temperatures, AMD's claim is very possibly accurate, but it will not be until tests are done with the new drivers that we can know for sure. Also the drivers have some new optimizations that should increase performance by ~3%, which could offset some of the Compatibility Mode loss. Here's the Anandtech article on it: AMD's Tuesday Radeon RX 480 Status Update: New Driver By Late Thursday.

By the way, SpikeSoprano, where were you seeing the 50 W over TDP figure, because the only time I've seen reports of it crossing 200 W was when people overclocked the card? That's not to say the times stock reached into the 160s and 170s W are not issues, but those are still a lot closer to 150 W than 200 W.

Also, I'm on vacation currently, so I do not have ready access to the Internet to post more, but I wanted to make sure this got up here. Back to vacationing and not being on the Internet.

By the way, SpikeSoprano, where were you seeing the 50 W over TDP figure, because the only time I've seen reports of it crossing 200 W was when people overclocked the card? That's not to say the times stock reached into the 160s and 170s W are not issues, but those are still a lot closer to 150 W than 200 W.

Also, I'm on vacation currently, so I do not have ready access to the Internet to post more, but I wanted to make sure this got up here. Back to vacationing and not being on the Internet.

That is what I meant, on overclocked cards, which is the first thing a lot of people do when they get a new card .

ps> hope you enjoy your vacation !

Edited by SpikeSoprano