4 replies to this topic

#1 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:42 AM

So I am planning on doing a new build or an upgrade for late 2016/early 2017. I will make this post short and to the point. :)

1. I think my system is quite solid, if I were only to upgrade, it would be replacing all the drives and SSDs, are the new SSDs worth it?

2. Are the new CPUs worth the cost right now over my current setup?

Current System

[CPU] Ryzen 5 system --- [CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi 2 --- (AMP) Emotiva A-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums 

#2 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

Man, almost 24 hours after this threaded started and still no replies. :(

Current System

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi 2 --- (AMP) Emotiva A-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums 

#3 Fight Game

Fight Game

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2568 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

I wouldn't upgrade the cpu (obviously, look at mine haha).  Well, as always, depending on what you use the computer for.  Which Samsung SSD do you have, and how is it performing?  I have the Samsung pro 850, and was able to see a difference over the older ones I had before it.  If you're mostly gaming, then I would think that cpu is still good enough.

Dell 24" UltraSharp 2408 (1200p) and 50" hdtv
Windows 10 os
Asus Crosshair VI x370 mainboard
AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 4050mhz cpu

Artic Cooling Freezer 240 AIO cooler
GSkill 16gb ddr4 @ 3333mhz ram
XFX amd390 8gb video
Samsung 960 evo M.2 and 850 pro SATA3 ssd's

PC power & cooling 750w psu
Antec 900 case

#4 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11277 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

Depending on your feelings towards it, you should be able to pick up a newer GPU for a lot less than they are now. The current AMD and NVIDIA cards are going to be replaced before too long, driving prices down across the board. Like fight Game said, based on what Samsung SSD you have, a new one might be a good option. If you're satisfied with its speed, might as well keep it. If you want something bigger and would benefit from it, go that route.

Intel Core i5 4690K - ASUS Z97-A - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB DDR3-2133 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Seagate 750GB + 2TB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - Sapphire Vapor-X CPU Cooler - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
KPMA7MM.png

#5 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

I wouldn't upgrade the cpu (obviously, look at mine haha).  Well, as always, depending on what you use the computer for.  Which Samsung SSD do you have, and how is it performing?  I have the Samsung pro 850, and was able to see a difference over the older ones I had before it.  If you're mostly gaming, then I would think that cpu is still good enough.

Depending on your feelings towards it, you should be able to pick up a newer GPU for a lot less than they are now. The current AMD and NVIDIA cards are going to be replaced before too long, driving prices down across the board. Like fight Game said, based on what Samsung SSD you have, a new one might be a good option. If you're satisfied with its speed, might as well keep it. If you want something bigger and would benefit from it, go that route.

Cool, thanks guys, I will we planning a major SSD/HDD upgrade then! 4TB drives are cheap now on eBay and I wanted a larger SSD too!

Current System