Just picked up a Surface Pro; what does everyone here think of the Surface line?

Crow47

because anything using windows RT is garbage and cannot install and run windows programs like a normal computer

if you just want to watch a video or use a calculator, the old surface are fine but you can do that on any other device

if you want your surface tablet to be just like using your home desktop windows 10 computer, it must be a surface 3 or higher

Only one Surface model ran RT...no?

The Surface and Surface 2 ran on RT, while every other model has been the full Windows.

All of the Pro models are x86 I thought.

because anything using windows RT is garbage and cannot install and run windows programs like a normal computer

if you just want to watch a video or use a calculator, the old surface are fine but you can do that on any other device

if you want your surface tablet to be just like using your home desktop windows 10 computer, it must be a surface 3 or higher

Only one Surface model ran RT...no?

The Surface and Surface 2 ran on RT, while every other model has been the full Windows.

All of the Pro models are x86 I thought.

They are. All Pro models are x86, from the start to now. The Surface 3 is also x86, while the Surface 1 and Surface 2 are ARM-based. Those two are the only ARM-based ones and the only Surfaces with Windows RT.

I have a work-provided Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB.

I love it as my travel computer. I did try run it with 3 external monitors and as my main 'in-office' computer and that did not go well. (At first used the Display port on the dock and daisy chained 3x Dell U2414H, this was temperamental. Then tried with an EVGA USB3 external graphics dongle. That went better, but still badly.)

Now I run a seperate in-office computer to run the 3 monitors, and have the surface as a 2nd PC. (Mouse without borders rocks for this kind of setup)

Through work have played with Surface 4 Pro and Surface Book, and I love the Surface 4 Pro too.

Cant say the same about Surface book. Dont like it at all. And esp. not at the price point its at.

For the Surface 3 Pro I would recommend the Surface 4 Pro Fingerprint keyboard. Has a much nicer track pad than the Surface 3Pro keyboard, and also nicer keys for typing. (+ the Fingerprint login is nice)

The Surface Arc mouse is very nice too.

Thats kinda the only 'problem' with the surface stuff. You gota buy the Keyboard for another