Unlocking The 64 ?

lorne

with the FX loosing the registered ECC support, why would you make the standard athlon 64 dual channel? that kills off the point of the FX. amd may be crazy, but they're not stupid, they won't take away a golden cash cow like the FX unless they find another one to replace it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may sound crazy but that is exactly what they are doing. The only difference between the FX and the new Athlon socket 939 will be the size of the their L2 cache FX, 1MB winchester 512 K. Also since the FX is unlocked, and the socket 939 is taking over its spot as top as top cpu I am hoping the 939's will be unlocked just like the FX is now.

Well we only have a couple months than we will know if they are unlocked :D

939 is not the top cpu. 940 will stay on top for the opteron (dual channel registered ECC, upto a 4mb cache in the near future, and smp support).

amd has talked about a lower cache for the 939 athlon, and no dual channel memory controller for the regular athlon. personally I'm gonna stick with the opteron for now, even over the athlon FX

I'd doubt the athlon 64 will ever be unlocked. the opteron will most likely stay unlocked though. again who would be dumb enough to try to oc a $500-$1200 cpu? okay besides me?

Edited by bigred

I'd doubt the athlon 64 will ever be unlocked. the opteron will most likely stay unlocked though. again who would be dumb enough to try to oc a $500-$1200 cpu? okay besides me?

lol, I would and I will when I finish my system. I hope you are wrong about the 64 never being unlocked. Time will tell. :)

Clockgen does work on the Athlon 64 processorsmotherboards and others.

Allows you to change the "FSB" (there isn't a FSB on Athlon processors anymore). It also allows you to lower the multiplier on the 64 chips. - Athlon 64 will not go with a higher multiplier than its default. Not sure about the FX line.

I've used it, and will have screenshots of it in my upcoming review.

Clockgen allows you to changet he multiplyer, vcore, "fsb", and agp speed. The Memory and AGP buses can be locked in the BIOS (of this nf3 board).

Remember, AMD has done away with the "FSB" with the AMD64 platform. SO, talking about "FSB" being increased is inaccurate. FSB has been replaced by HTT for the AMD64 platform.

It may not be fact, but in my experience the VIA chipsets have never really had a working PCI/AGP lock....but they will tell you it does work or it will be in a BIOS update.

I plan to purchase an athlon64 and overclock it, any mobo recommendations by current overclockers?? I currently have a FXF GeForce4 FX5900, 512MB Corsair DDR400 Pro RAM, 120GB Maxtor HD, and just ordered watercooling and case. Last step is mobo/processor. I am planning on buying the a64 3400+, but i am undecided on the motherboard, I hear that the SiS has the best proformance, VIA has bes features, and nForce has best overclocking, can anyone confirm this? or which board would you recommend for overclocking/gaming proformance

the sis boards are coming from two makers, ecs and soyo. just look around the boards for the common thoughts on them.

via tends to run a little quicker stock, however the nvidia have some minor advantages oc'n (which don't add up to much with the socket 754 chips, but DO make a difference on the unlocked FX / opteron chips)

weigh your options when buying boards for your chip. I'm a fan of MSI for the regular athlon 64, however I like gigabyte better for single socket 940 chips (the asus is a little touchy sometimes) and either MSI or Tyan for dual socket 940 boards