Leaked Specifications and 3DMark Performance Arrive for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti; Launching Soon?

bp9801

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not saying we agree with the increase in cost. Every high end card costs a lot of money, always has, always will. Frank shelled out a ton for, what, the 1900XTs or something?

The 8800 Ultra was a better card than the 8800 GTX, so it makes sense to price it higher. The 980 Ti is a stripped down TITAN X, so why would it cost $300 more?

I had 1900XT's and 8800 GTS 640MB cards that I spend over 1600 bucks on at the time. The 1900Xt's first then the 8800's.

We're not saying we agree with the increase in cost. Every high end card costs a lot of money, always has, always will. Frank shelled out a ton for, what, the 1900XTs or something?

The 8800 Ultra was a better card than the 8800 GTX, so it makes sense to price it higher. The 980 Ti is a stripped down TITAN X, so why would it cost $300 more?

if all the whopla is true why would they sell a superior chip for less and yes i do rember the 780 ti and the titan but the was different 

they crippled titan and they will charge whatever they and why  like many green demons have said because the can  

An $800 niche card 9 years ago shows that the price point has pretty much remained constant for the top end gaming segment or gone up a couple hundred bucks as the case may be. Manufacturers set a price based on a profit margin not the cost of goods delivered. If its to much for the market to bare we get rebates or reduced prices. A product is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it not what it physically cost to make it. Physical build price is minimal at best. Just look at what an Iphone costs to build and what they sell for to prove out that point. What the consumer does not see is the cost of the R&D on the back end to make sure the technology is sound, that the driver package is ready to go on day 1 that there is a ton of validation testing that goes on. 

Companies charge what they want because they can yes. The consumer has the power in the end by choosing to spend their cash wherever they choose. I seem to remember AMD limiting supply on the HD 5870 to drive up the price since NVIDIA at the time did not have something to compete until Fermi arrived. Make this a two sided conversation rather than bashing one side for doing something every company does. R9 290X was limited on release driving up prices as well.

They are businesses looking to make a profit for their shareholders and to continue on as a successful entity. Its how it works.   

At the end of the day if it is to rich for your blood then buy a lower tier product that fits within your budget constraints and can meet the performance profile you are looking for.  Not trying to be rude but niche cards and high end hardware( TitanX, R9 295X2, GTX 980, Intel X99 platforms for example) are always going to cost more than the mainstream products, Always. Only you can decide if that price/performance ratio is worth it to you.  

I had 1900XT's and 8800 GTS 640MB cards that I spend over 1600 bucks on at the time. The 1900Xt's first then the 8800's.

if all the whopla is true why would they sell a superior chip for less and yes i do rember the 780 ti and the titan but the was different 

they crippled titan and they will charge whatever they and why  like many green demons have said because the can  

An $800 niche card 9 years ago shows that the price point has pretty much remained constant for the top end gaming segment or gone up a couple hundred bucks as the case may be. Manufacturers set a price based on a profit margin not the cost of goods delivered. If its to much for the market to bare we get rebates or reduced prices. A product is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it not what it physically cost to make it. Physical build price is minimal at best. Just look at what an Iphone costs to build and what they sell for to prove out that point. What the consumer does not see is the cost of the R&D on the back end to make sure the technology is sound, that the driver package is ready to go on day 1 that there is a ton of validation testing that goes on. 

Companies charge what they want because they can yes. The consumer has the power in the end by choosing to spend their cash wherever they choose. I seem to remember AMD limiting supply on the HD 5870 to drive up the price since NVIDIA at the time did not have something to compete until Fermi arrived. Make this a two sided conversation rather than bashing one side for doing something every company does. R9 290X was limited on release driving up prices as well.

They are businesses looking to make a profit for their shareholders and to continue on as a successful entity. Its how it works.   

At the end of the day if it is to rich for your blood then buy a lower tier product that fits within your budget constraints and can meet the performance profile you are looking for.  Not trying to be rude but niche cards and high end hardware( TitanX, R9 295X2, GTX 980, Intel X99 platforms for example) are always going to cost more than the mainstream products, Always. Only you can decide if that price/performance ratio is worth it to you.  

the 480 580 and 680 were all $499 all i am saying is i see a pattern of price gouging because the have no real competitor just like with the 8800 ultra era with the 480 580 680 amd was close and as the have fallen behind prices have gone up

i have the resources to buy a 390/980 ti but i am making a statement buy not buying any more flagship gpu's until these manufactures come back to reality and i am aware one person means nothing to amd / nivida but i hope more people feel the same way 

Edited by jdm_freek

Cards are priced high because people buy them at that price. Not everyone does, but enough do. AMD has had expensive cards, as has NVIDIA. People buy them.

The high end NVIDIA cards are expensive, yeah, as are the high end AMD ones. The HD 7970 was $549 at launch, as was the R9 290X. The HD 7990 was $999, just like the TITAN X.

Cards are priced high because people buy them at that price. Not everyone does, but enough do. AMD has had expensive cards, as has NVIDIA. People buy them.

The high end NVIDIA cards are expensive, yeah, as are the high end AMD ones. The HD 7970 was $549 at launch, as was the R9 290X. The HD 7990 was $999, just like the TITAN X.

agreed but the 7990 is a dual gpu so its the same as buying two cards still making it $499 per card but even at $549 for amd top tier single gpu 

and now the next gen will be almost double this is a dangerous trend with no end in sight.

im buying bstock from now on i bought 3 gtx 670 4gb for $270 and they should be able to keed up with whatever comes out for awhile at 25% of the price

or atleast til evga"s next gpu dump 

and back to amd the 290x2 was $1500 but when nobody bought the price dropped drastically and now the are selling for as low as $550

Edited by jdm_freek

the 480 580 and 680 were all $499 all i am saying is i see a pattern of price gouging because the have no real competitor just like with the 8800 ultra era with the 480 580 680 amd was close and as the have fallen behind prices have gone up

i have the resources to buy a 390/980 ti but i am making a statement buy not buying any more flagship gpu's until these manufactures come back to reality and i am aware one person means nothing to amd / nivida but i hope more people feel the same way 

I understand the point and am glad you have the resources to go high end. Many don't and won't. As long as there is competition the consumer wins. We all feel like prices get out of hand on many products but the market will correct any pricing issues eventually. The key is how long do you wait?  Making the statement with your dollars is the only way you can go. That being said there are many who will be early adopters and buy the halo products at launch to get the highest FPS or move up to 4K gaming. 

Lets look at Intel. over the past 8 years the price of the top consumer based CPU the Extreme Editions have been $999 at launch. Each launch the price is $999 and it stays there until the next launch. Is it worth that price? Is it gouging the consumer for a guaranteed level of performance? Depends on your perspective.       

The GTX 980 was the same as the R9 290X price, so I don't see it being a "dangerous" trend or anything. An unlocked smartphone costs more than that (some are even $1,000+), yet people buy those even if they don't need them. There is a small group of people who run out and immediately buy the latest and greatest item. Prices do drop over time, so sure, while that new video card or smartphone or TV is expensive at launch, wait six months or a year until the next model is out. Is that older model suddenly the worst possible thing to buy? Absolutely not. It is just now outclassed in some way, but is by no means inferior. People can buy it then and save a good chunk of change over buying it right at launch.

The GTX TITAN launched for $999, and then the GTX 780 Ti followed at $699. The 780 Ti was more powerful than the TITAN, but was $300 less. Early numbers peg the GTX 980 Ti as being similar to the TITAN X, yet the 980 Ti is a little less powerful than the TITAN X. A cheaper price for the 980 Ti is the logical step, because why charge more for something not as powerful? NVIDIA charged less for something more powerful, so it can also charge less for something not quite as powerful.

I understand the point and am glad you have the resources to go high end. Many don't and won't. As long as there is competition the consumer wins. We all feel like prices get out of hand on many products but the market will correct any pricing issues eventually. The key is how long do you wait?  Making the statement with your dollars is the only way you can go. That being said there are many who will be early adopters and buy the halo products at launch to get the highest FPS or move up to 4K gaming. 

Lets look at Intel. over the past 8 years the price of the top consumer based CPU the Extreme Editions have been $999 at launch. Each launch the price is $999 and it stays there until the next launch. Is it worth that price? Is it gouging the consumer for a guaranteed level of performance? Depends on your perspective.       

im happy to hear i am not the only one who feels this way its just frustrating to hear someone try to validate these kinda of prices by saying well its the fastest single gpu and like i said before so was the 480 580 680 but they were not $800+ not much should changes in 4 years if anything prices should go down with the 8800 ultra the economy  was A lot stronger then it is now and people could throw the kinda money around

Everyone who knows me says when I married my wonderful wife,.. thirty years ago that I married up and she was way out of my league,.. she told all her friends that she could change me,.. and god bless her she did change me.

So honey if your reading this,.. you made me what I am today, an upper tier product kinda guy,.. so please I have needs niche card needs (TITAN X) to be exact. :wub:     

Everyone who knows me says when I married my wonderful wife,.. thirty years ago that I married up and she was way out of my league,.. she told all her friends that she could change me,.. and god bless her she did change me.

So honey if your reading this,.. you made me what I am today, an upper tier product kinda guy,.. so please I have needs niche card needs (TITAN X) to be exact. :wub:     

I'll take the Titan if you get the 980 Ti. :lol: Or just get me a 980 Ti. :D