will this cooling setup provide sufficient cooling to allow for alienw

Hello everyone. Please check out my cooling setup and let me know if you think it will provide sufficient cooling to allow for overclocking of CPU on my alienware 18? I initially purchased Cooler Master U3 Plus laptop cooler with 3 fans, but soon realised the stock fans on that laptop cooler would never provide sufficient cooling for anything. Therefore, I purchased 2 x Cooler Master JetFlo 120 high performance fans. Each fan is capable of pushing 95 CFM of air. Pretty impressive. Allthough, it took a little bit of manufacturing to actually make the electrical fittings and connections to wire the fans directly into a wall socket. I hope this will provide the cooling i need for overclocking my cpu. I have placed the fans so that one would cover the cpu and the other one would cover the gpu area.

Although, during the installation process I did seem to touch a wrong wire and i immediately smelled the typical burning smell of an electrical motor, but then both fans worked ok after installation, test ran for an hour, no problems, what could the burning smell have been? Please advise, any ideas?

My stock alienware specs: i7 4910mq, gtx880m sli (16gB total memory), 16 GB ram memory.

In the meantime, I'm trying to attach pictures of my setup from photo bucket. So far, it is not working for me. I will try again.

Thanks.

post-140906-0-72436600-1430782282_thumb.jpg

post-140906-0-13092800-1430782318_thumb.jpgpost-140906-0-09605600-1430782353_thumb.jpgpost-140906-0-73109800-1430782375_thumb.jpgpost-140906-0-31002900-1430782392_thumb.jpgpost-140906-0-80733400-1430782408_thumb.jpg

If you like you can try to overclock it. The only downside is that your true limitation is going to be the size of the internal heating. Again if the bio is unlocked you can give it a whirl but i wouldn't go past the point that the stock voltage allows and do make sure that the system temps stay below the max. If not you could give that poor thing a premature death.

First off, Welcome to OCC :D. Secon, overclocking a laptop is risky but I guess Dell/Alienware figured it was a good idea to leave BIOS options for overclocking so more power to ya.

I would get real temp first to check your setups, I guess those laptops are ready for overclocking but make sure you keep your temperatures in line.

I would be interested to see the overclock you can get out of the video card on this as well.

I found a little guide for you as well. It is on Dells own website so I guess they support overclocking now, and that in itself is pretty awesome.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN288033/EN

Good luck, try not to nuke it.

Thanks a lot for excellent feedback. Without the overclocking, just how well do you think i can run witcher 3 wild hunt? My specs: i74910mq, gtx880m sli (16GB total memory ), 16 gb ram. I have used sites like game-debate, and all that. It seems that my cpu would act as a bottleneck, unfortuntely. Game-debate does say i can run it high settings ok. Any ideas please? Thanks.

That seems like a really solid gaming laptop to me, I would just play the games you would like to play and set the graphics settings based on how your gameplay goes.

If your aren't getting the frame rates you would like then overclocking makes a little more sense.