Amazon Bringing HDR Videos To Prime

CheeseMan42

Amazon is planning to introduce support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) videos to its Prime streaming service later this year, with Amazon Originals programming expected to be the first to see the increase in quality. Netflix is also planning to offer HDR support this year, and HDR will be in addition to the previously announced 4K resolution videos. Amazon will be starting with its own programming as HDR requires some help from content producers, it can't simply be scaled up. VP of digital video at Amazon Michael Paull described the move stating, "4K Ultra HD picture resolution was just the beginning — we’re excited that Prime members will soon be able to view movies and TV shows including Amazon Originals in HDR quality."

Source: Venture Beat

HDR means High-Dynamic-Range, so images are more vibrant, stunning, and full of detail compared to normal images. Like thisthis, and this. It isn't a resolution increase; it's a color boost to bring out more details.

That's a pretty stunning difference. It really looks like better resolution, more DPI.

So HDR is software manipulation of an image?

Usually it's either combining several photographs done at lower dynamic ranges or with an oversampled binary image sensor in a camera. Combining photos is probably the easier way to go, or shooting in RAW format and then boosting the various levels (contrast, brightness, saturation) to accomplish the same task.

I'm just starting to monkey with RAW images taken with my Nikon 5200. Really, all I've done is take the images. The monkeying is to come yet.

Thanks for the HDR education :)

this HDR video thing is a little miss leading because HDR in itself is data that be can interpreted different ways depending on the software and settings. Thats why "untreated / raw" HDR photos look muted and neutral on the colors. The finally image is still 8bit but has what seems to be a wider range of blacks and color compared to a side by side shot of just a normal 8bit image because of how it was captured in the first place. There is no way they are streaming 32bit RAW videos for the file size alone. secondly it would look like crap because your device wouldn't interpret it the same. I think the "HDR" is just a marketing thing when really they should say wide grummet video that you can't even see on an average tv. aka waste of bandwidth and money.

HDR photo and video is really nice for editing, but the end result is still technically not HDR at all, only the process was. It was than it technically has to be a 32bit color and in raw format since nothing else support this. I wish the RED HDR camera was affordable. $50k is way to much for my blood.