AMD's Greenland GPU and R400 Series Expected to Launch in 2016

bp9801

The AMD Radeon R300 series still isn't out yet (maybe in June for Computex), but there is already a rumor concerning the next series. AMD's Greenland GPU is expected to launch next year, which will be part of the R400 series of video cards. The R400 line is rumored to be called the Arctic Islands family, while the R300 is supposedly the Pirate Islands family. If you're wondering, the R200 line is the Volcanic Islands family. As for the R400 and the Greenland GPU itself, it will make use of High Bandwidth Memory (HBM), much like the expected R300 top dog. Whether only the high-end Greenland GPU will use HBM or the entire R400 line was not mentioned in the rumor. The recently leaked AMD roadmap showed HBM appearing on some APUs, so perhaps the entire R400 line will indeed benefit from HBM.

There is also a chance the R400 series will be a graphics architecture used in APUs, much like how Kaveri APUs carried a GCN core for Mantle gaming. If that is the case, then maybe the R400 cards won't be discrete cards at all and only appear in APUs. Whatever the case may be, first we need some solid word on the R300 series and what exactly those will bring. Either way, it is nice to see AMD planning for the future, even with a low research budget.

Source: Fudzilla via WCCFTech

I am wondering when the unified memory will be released for the GPUs. I heard Pascal had it (NVIDIA) and I wonder when AMd gets this in it line-up.

CUDA 6.0 already uses unified memory, Pascal will when it launches, and AMD has HSA, which is similar and so far only in the Kaveri line and the PS4.