Sapphire 7970 Problem

cferg10

Np. I wouldn't rule out the PSU, either. What is the PSU being used?

OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Semi-Modular

I figured since I put in my old 570 and it had no issues from the same power source that it would have to be an issue with the card.

The GTX 570 requires 35A from the +12V rail. The OCZ Fatal1ty 750W has four +12V rails rated at 18A per rail. You would get 36A from using two separate rails, just enough for the GTX 570 to run.

The HD 7970 only requires 30A. Did you make sure that you're using two different +12V rails and not two PCIE connectors connected to the same +12V rail (which you would only get 18A)?

I checked everything to no avail. I guess it's either the fan issue or a circuitry issue.

More than likely a fan issue at this point. I would pull the fan and attempt to clean up the shaft and verify that it is not locked or hesitant to spin when moving it with your finger. 

Yeah I just hate to throw away 25 bucks if the fan replacement doesn't work

More than likely a fan issue at this point. I would pull the fan and attempt to clean up the shaft and verify that it is not locked or hesitant to spin when moving it with your finger. 

Yeah I just hate to throw away 25 bucks if the fan replacement doesn't work

The fan is removable and you can clean up the shaft and re lubricate it with a lightweight oil. Sometimes dust intrusion causes a problem where the fan will not spin. Does it freewheel if you spin it by hand?

You could also download Sapphires own TRIXX utility and disable ULPS to see if it fires up.