Internet Connection Sharing

sYstEmATiC

A VPN is actually a secure tunnel that you would use to connect to a larger network through the internet, like a network at your workplace for example. Also, you can setup a VPN between two linksys routers at your house to allow for a one-way-in one-way-out connection between the two without having to worry (as much) about network security.

(personally, I have never setup a VPN, so correct me if I am wrong....)

just wanted to add my two cents

VPN is indeed and virtual private network and indeed it will allow more computers added to the router by using switches and hubs. VPN will sort out the data that computers send or receive because on the router all computers from one hub are connected to one port of the router. which SHOULD give the hub one IP.instead VPN gives all computers a virtual IP to get things straight.

I hope i explained it good enough :)

Now that i come to think of it...you are right GTsticky , i was thinking about VLAN.

disregard everything i said above :)

Edited by bloodking

You explained it incorrectly. You are thinking of VLAN'ing (I think)

a VPN or Virtual Private Network, is just that. It allows you to take 2 (or more) private networks (any size, 1 computer or 1000) and connect them using a secure, encrypted tunnel across a PUBLIC network such as an unsecured LAN segment at your workplace or the Internet. Most commonly used to allow employees relatively secure access to a network at work, or for offices which want to connect a remote office to file sharing, email, etc, without paying for a dedicated leased line.