Hard drive Error, not accessible now

Pteroduck

So one of the drives on my NAS just went bad.
It says ," I:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
I tried partition wizard but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mfg = Manufacturer   :)

So the mfg = self made   :)

First

If you have any really important data on the disk I'd try to recover and copy that data to another storage device.  There are a few decent free options that you can choose from some of which are discussed pretty extensively in other threads here at OCC

Second

Attempt let Windows repair the system files

Run the sfc /scannow command from an elevated (run as adminstator) command prompt - make sure to specify the drive you want to scan and attempt repair.  In your situation the command would look like this;

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=I:\ /offwindir=I:\windows

If that doesn't work with the drive in the box, you may need to remove the drive from the box and attach it directly to one of the other SATA ports on your motherboard.  Note the new drive letter assignment and re-run the above command line

Third

If Windows cant repair the system files you might attempt to format the entire drive and see if it become usable

Fourth

Never overlook the simple stuff, such as a faulty SATA cable, loose cable etc.

Even using the fairly tame recommendation noted in number 2 above, there is a risk of data loss - hence my recommendation that if there is anything important on there try and recover and save to another storage device before proceeding.

Good luck.

If none of the recommendations above will restore the drive, you will have to replace it.

I would take it out of your external enclosure. I have had a few External HDD's go out, but after taking them out of the case I would notice without the sata -> usb controller they worked fine.

The size of the drive though my friend, sounds like an ancient HDD. I always tell people , that daily usage and storage puts miles on a HDD like a car doing long distance driving does. I would assume your HDD is having a motor issue with its arm.