New to overlocking - what should my RAM speed be?

Legion

if your not planning on going above 4.2ghz you can just set the vcore to 1.2v and ratio to 42 . everything else can be auto . though I suggest you try the settings in the guide and try to fine tune it . my 4770k only needs 1.1v for 4 2ghz . Some need 1.25, it just depends on which chip you have .

also have 90c usually means either A) a cooler not holdin up very well or B) the vcore is about 1.25-1.3v , because the Haswell gets very got when you start to get near 1.3v . Even with a Corsair h100 I've hit 85~ c. Since you are also using a h100, you can avoid that 90c by setting the vcore yourself and making sure the cooler on correctly . At stock you should be around 55c~

Lastly for idle, it depends on the motherboard for idle voltage . The MSI one I used even with override on it still dropped the voltage on idle unless I turnned off C-State. I usually suggest for any oc to leave idle off until you have solid overclock , because it can trick you into thinking everything is good until you run a program.

Ok so I've been at this all day. I tried reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the cooler (H100i). Then, without OCing, I ran Intel Burn Test on high with 10 passes - for just a second or so it will hit 72 then go back down to anywhere from low 40s to 60s. Are those temps too high for i7 4700k's stockspeed of 3.5GHz?

nope that's fine . I noticed IBT has higher temps than prime95 . also I have the same problem with the h100 going hot for a second . my bets it's the pump kicking in when the temps for go . I don't really know , it's just a guess

I wonder as well about the small lag in the AIO h100i. Im used to my other loop that ran max 24-7.. This may be a chance to un-retire some old WC parts.