Re: Overclocking a MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

eskimo7

Hi All i have the following:

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz @ 4.60GHz, MSI X79A-GD65-8D DDR3 Motherboard, 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte LV 1600MHz DDR3 1.35v Memory, be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 2 Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler.

My problem is that when i overclock it, it is runnning at 75c to 84c idle? i have looked at a few video's on you tube about how to install Dark Pro 2 fan correctly and they differ from the company who i purchased the m/b, cpu, fan and memory bundle, Who no longer exist) from, althouth different motherboards are on the youtube vids its the same fan: 

is mine running hot because the back plate of the fan was not fitted right by the engineers they used screws and bolts on top on the M/B without the backplate any ideas would be welcome, the mb has an overclocking genie but it still runs hot or is hot for the rig??

Cheers eskimo7

post-130826-0-02680500-1391790039_thumb.jpg

post-130826-0-35174700-1391790063_thumb.jpg

post-130826-0-26538200-1391790173_thumb.gif

Did you overclock to 4.60Ghz using static CPU frequency and static vcore voltage while disabling all the power savings features.  What I"m trying to determine is whether or not the CPU is throttling down to lower stepping/frequency when the PC is at idle.

If those are your temperatures when the CPU has throttled down to a true idle condition at idle voltage then you have a problem with the CPU cooler.  Either improper installation, no thermal compound, forgot to remove the sticker from the heat sink base, the heat sink base isn't flat or isn't making good contact with the IHS, or maybe the heatsink is just broken.

+1 wev has the right idea. Another way to put it is, did you disable C-State so it's running @ 4.6ghz always the same voltage or is the power saving features still enabled?

edit: also if you are saying the backplate isn't on correctly that could cause the heatink not to put even pressure and high temps. But if your using a 2011 socket, you shouldn't need a backplate since it screws directly to the socket mount or at lest all the coolers ive come across.