Harddrive undetected/Not showing all of its actual capacity

Pteroduck

Hi guys!
So i bought two hard drives (used) for a bargin, but i kinda knew that i would have some problems before hand

One is a WB momentus and the other is a toshiba drive.

The WD is a 320gb but when I plug it in, its only 24 GB's :rtfm: . I have tried diskpart and formatting it/changing the format as well

but as for the toshiba, it won't pop up at all. I booted up diskpart and its getting detected in there but its showing 0kb/0kb in which its actually a 250gb HD

Can someone help me out? I'd be losing 10 bucks if I didnt do anything with these :thx:

The Toshitty...errm well Toshiba...I would toss in my pile of things to throw away personally.  I've replaced more dead toshiba drives in laptops than any other brand (I've never worked with a PC brand exclusively so I get the full mix) personally and while sure some last forever I still cringe anytime I send one out the door in a new machine.  

As for the WD/seagate/whatever (Monentus is Seagate's mobile drive line's name vs Scorpio for WD) it really sounds like a formatting/jumper issue.  if it doesn't have any jumpers on it double check the specs to be sure it's not one of them that needs a jumper to function in a normal state.  

Might also want to set the BIOS to IDE mode to test as well.  Some early laptop drives (and some laptops for that matter) have very picky AHCI/RAID support.

Just some random ideas from me @ nearly 4 in the morning for me so might have missed something.

I second cchalogamer as Toshiba makes crap drives. Great laptops but cant make a hard drive to save there lives. I have seen so many crap out after a year or 2.

Do you know what OS was on the WD drive. Like if there was a linix OS installed on it. That why you wont see the full size of the drive as windows cant read the MBR.

If not i would do a test on the drive. WD makes a diagnostics program for there own drives. Give that a shot and see what comes up.

The Toshitty...errm well Toshiba...I would toss in my pile of things to throw away personally.  I've replaced more dead toshiba drives in laptops than any other brand (I've never worked with a PC brand exclusively so I get the full mix) personally and while sure some last forever I still cringe anytime I send one out the door in a new machine.  

As for the WD/seagate/whatever (Monentus is Seagate's mobile drive line's name vs Scorpio for WD) it really sounds like a formatting/jumper issue.  if it doesn't have any jumpers on it double check the specs to be sure it's not one of them that needs a jumper to function in a normal state.  

Might also want to set the BIOS to IDE mode to test as well.  Some early laptop drives (and some laptops for that matter) have very picky AHCI/RAID support.

Just some random ideas from me @ nearly 4 in the morning for me so might have missed something.

same old same old. Nothing has worked yet