Need Input to Overclock the unlucky 4770K

soulbytes

Sup Guys.

I've been trying to overclock my CPU but always got stuck with the settings combination volts,cache clock,memory etc.. my first trial is 4.2ghz on 1.2v ddr 2133 oc to 2666 with no issues ruun smoothly a couple of week later i try to take a little bit further to 4.4/4.2 cache on 1.278v ddr 2133 to 2200 went well without any issue. Now i achived 4.6ghz/4.4 cache on 1.35v run perfectly but i just don't like the voltage is way too high ..i tried to lower it but no luck at all.. always got BSOD in any activity and tried to change the cache as well with lower voltage still a dead end.

If i keep this voltage and use on daily , is it safe enough ? i use water cooling Modded H50 Corsair .. idle 33-37c full load 88-90c on stress test. Please give me some input to make this CPU to be a lucky one :). Thanks a bunch guys.

my Setup:

Asrock z87 extreme 4

Cooling H50 Modded (add external reservoir)

2x8gb Patriot Vipoer 3 red ddr 2133 11-11-11-30

Intel 4770k 

Cheers.

Edited by soulbytes

Depends on how long you want to keep that particular CPU and how risk/cost averse that you are to unexpected or early failure.  Frankly, if it were my own chip I'd be perfectly content with 4.4/4.2 running at 1.278v

I'm not a huge risk taker, so 1.35v 24/7 and loaded cpu temps at 90C would make me back it down or find a better cooling solution.

Here is a little overclocking guide How to Overclock an Intel 4770K Guide that might help that extra bit. Once you past 4.5ghz you are above 70% of he cpus out there, so that CPU is a lucky one, very few hit 4.7/8. Personally anything above 1.325 is scary and you can find some TDP charts showing it doesn't matter what the clocks are at 1.325, it's going to be around 90c.

Anything above the stock voltage you are lowering the half life and the cpu long term clocking ablilties. How long, I cannot say since the haswell is fairly new. I would say maybe a few years less at 1.2 and a lot less at 1.325v but thats just guessing.