Help OC'ing i7-3770k

alonbl

Hello I followed the guide: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_z77_overclocking_guide/1

but i have some issues. When i set the vcore to 1.13v in the bios and run a stress test on windows the volt goes up to 1.22v Why is that? I got 4.3ghz on around 70c and 4.4ghz on around 85c. Please help thanks.

the specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz LP 1.35V
PSU: Seasonic SS-750JS 750W
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P

Edited by alonbl

First, I would recommend using offset voltages. This allows your chips voltage to rise and fall with the clockspeed. As per the temps, not all 3770k's overclock in the same manner. At some point, each chip hits a thermal barrier. For example, my chip is overclocked to 4.5 Ghz. If I go to 4.6 the temps increase exponentially. My load temps at 4.5 are 60C, and my load temps at 4.6 get close to 80C. I also have the Thermalright Silver Arrow, which is a top of the line cooler. You may be hitting that thermal barrier earlier. I dont think your OC results are terrible. They arent the best, but they are about average.

There are various ways going about controlling voltages for cpu overclocks with your board.

Right now you have a manual (static) vcore setting of 1.13v and LLC set to Extreme.  Your LLC setting is the one causing your vcore to jump to 1.22v under load (as LLC is designed to add some level of additional voltage under load to decrease vdroop).  Accordingly - the voltage change you are seeing is completely normal.

From here you have some options;

1. Reduce your cpu vcore a little bit - set somewhere between 1.06 and 1.08 - leave LLC at Extreme - retest

2. Leave your cpu vcore at 1.13 but change LLC to medium or low - retest

3. Change your vcore from "manual" to "normal" and use offset voltage.  At an overclock of only 4.3Ghz you could probably get away with an offset as small as +0.01v

There are various ways going about controlling voltages for cpu overclocks with your board.

Right now you have a manual (static) vcore setting of 1.13v and LLC set to Extreme.  Your LLC setting is the one causing your vcore to jump to 1.22v under load (as LLC is designed to add some level of additional voltage under load to decrease vdroop).  Accordingly - the voltage change you are seeing is completely normal.

From here you have some options;

1. Reduce your cpu vcore a little bit - set somewhere between 1.06 and 1.08 - leave LLC at Extreme - retest

2. Leave your cpu vcore at 1.13 but change LLC to medium or low - retest

3. Change your vcore from "manual" to "normal" and use offset voltage.  At an overclock of only 4.3Ghz you could probably get away with an offset as small as +0.01v

1. same results 1.22v on stress test and same temperature.

2. BSOD

3. you didn't say what to do with LLC so I set it to standard. same results 1.22v on stress test and same temperature.

The last to options gave me freezed bios a few times. Thanks for your help

Edited by alonbl

You will not be able to pas the 4.3GHz on air, those IBs are very hot. To do the OC better go with offset voltage (just like Wevs said), set the LLC to medium, and the offest to +0.01-0.02V, leave other settings to auto. Try to stay between 72-76C on stress. 

Edited by Smiki007

You will not be able to pas the 4.3GHz on air, those IBs are very hot. To do the OC better go with offset voltage (just like Wevs said), set the LLC to medium, and the offest to +0.01-0.02V, leave other settings to auto. Try to stay between 72-76C on stress. 

I did what you said and the temps are just below 80c with IBT and below 75c with OCCT. It's about 30c in the room.

Edited by alonbl