Problem with laptop had drive

Erosannin

I took my Seagate Momentus STX 750GB SATA II out of my laptop a while ago to use it in my USB 3.0 enclosure and it is workign extremely well.

Now I tried formatting it entirely and putting it back into a computer but now there is no way that windows can recognize it (I tried my laptop again (Windows 8) and my computer (Windows 7).

SeaTools for Windows doesn't see it, SeaTools for DOS doesn't see it either and it is detected by the Bios.

I cannot install windows on it as like I said it is not detected.

I really need your help guys as I am out of Idea for this one (and yes I searched a while on the internet)

I don't know if a hard drive going by the USB 3.0 enclosure would be bootable per se. There are USB 3.0 drivers that you have to install for Windows 7 (as I recall with my X58-UD3R)

I think this is what eSATA is for,  so that it can be seen as any hard drive by the OS. If it is a standard SATA, you could try to plug it directly and then use your USB
enclosure when everything is installed. Worst case, they sell notebook to desktop HDD adaptors.

I might have used a wrong mean to explain my problem.

My USB 3.0 Enclosure works fine with this HDD in it.

When I take it out to format it and use it as an internal HDD (where it was used before anyway) it's not detected by Windows anymore but the Bios sees the HDD without issue.

That's a common issue with Windows,.. but easy fix. On a working computer go to CNet free downloads and install EaseUS Partition Master free edition, shutdown and connect your HDD from enclosure, then restart & open EaseUS Partition Master, you should be OK.

I solved the problem by putting my SATA Controler in IDE mode in the BIOS so SeaTools see the drive and I low level formatted it.

This morning I was able to install Windows 7 before leaving for work.

All is well now :)

• 4 weeks later...