Different SSIDs on device in repeater mode?

kendellrt

I am running an Asus RT-N66R as my router.  In the home I also have two Asus EA-N66Rs used in repeater mode; one for the 2.4Ghz band and the other for the 5Ghz band.  Some material I have read seem to suggest that I use different SSIDs on the repeaters than I am using on the main network.  Would this do me any good in real everyday use?  I guess it would help me determine if my device is connected to the router on a weak signal in the basement, or the AP in repeater mode closer to me upstairs.  But other than that, what value would there be?  The setup in the EA-N66R has the option to apply a tick mark to duplicate the SSID while in repeater mode, or you can uncheck it and assign a different one manually.  It does say that if it is being used as an AP, as in an Ethernet connection from the router itself wired across a longer distance to act as an access point for extending the network, that a different SSID should be used for the AP.  I simply want to do what is going to get me the best connection at all times.  This really only applies to my mobile devices, or a visitor with a device of some kind, though.  All of my computers are in close proximity to the router itself and therefore have a great connection.  The trouble we run into is with our phones and tablets.  The home is old, and fairly large.  I didn't really have an option to install the cable, modem and router in a central location in the home.  When we are upstairs trying to use anything that requires network access, including streaming my own media within my own LAN, the connection can get too poor to sustain a good experience.  This applies to things like Plex, XBMC, DLNA services, mobile apps like Facebook, and Netflix.  What do you guys think?

Edited by kendellrt

some say set the same SSID so it will auto change between the devices when one signal gets stronger than the other but, this can create trouble shooting problems trying to figure out which device is causing the issue.

The easiest way to do it is run a LAN cable from the main router and plug it into the LAN port on the secondary router... turn OFF DHCP in the secondary router and set a different SSID but same encryption and so on... same Default gateway (should be the same by default being same brand routers).

There are many guides out there and I just did the same exact thing for the same exact reason.... works perfectly

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=194984

It seems to be running fine using them in repeater mode with matching SSIDs.  This way I can have the security settings input in the devices and kind of set it and forget it as the family goes about their business.  I have noticed that my Galaxy S3 switches between the two bands frequently like this as I move about and the signal gets weaker or stronger on the respective band.  I would love to have all my devices on the 5GHz band, but they don't all support it, and the broadcast range isn't as far on the higher frequency channels.  I have thought about just dropping the 5GHz band altogether and moving everything to 2.4Ghz, as all my devices support that band.  I don't have the heart to give up my throughput, though.

Android devices will auto switch to the stronger signal as you move about.

I run both at 2.4ghz as i get the best speeds even though the 5ghz should be faster...my S3 says it connects at 65Mbs speeds but is blazing fast...my other Android stuff is connected at 150Mbs speeds