GPU core clock locked SOMETIMES

Hi, I have recently got a laptop with the GTX460M and a i5-2410M. At first I had trouble overclocking the gpu, the memory clock overclocked with no problem, but the core clock didn't go above 675MHz, I used EVGA, MSI afterburner and Inspector, reïnstalled drivers and did all those thing.

Today I tried it again, for some reason overclocking the core clock worked, and finally I got much higher scores in 3dmark11, actually, it was the highest score for my hardware:P http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4664416 . I haven't reïnstalled anything, the only change I have made is adding a laptop cooler with fans, though this didn't dramatically drop the temperature.. But now when I have hit 840MHz core clock, the core clock is again locked at 675MHz, giving me again low score on 3dmark11. Does the temperature cause the 675MHz lock? Because the temperature has dropped back to 45 now, but the lock stays. I didn't even get a change to test it in game:/

Mobile GPU drivers are optimized for reduced power consumption and heat reduction. That is achieved through a series of conservative power and clock states, fan profile configurations and I'm sure there are some temperature threshold settings thrown in for good measure too. You can uninstall the gpu drivers again, uninstall 3rd party clocking utilities and start from scratch - that may get your gpu core unlocked again. But frankly, I question the logic of overclocking laptop video cards - especially if it is just for the sake of bench marking. A stock GTX460M is going to throw out plenty of heat, even at stock settings, so you are really pounding your entire laptop by dumping all that extra heat when you overclock it.

And while I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from giving their laptop GPU a reasonable bump in core and memory speed, I (personally) wouldn't be pushing it to the extremes that you are (assuming you want your laptop to last a while).

^^ Well said.

@OP: Overclocking anything in a laptop is never recommended due to heat generation & inferior cooling technology used in laptops (due to lack of space), unless of-course you don't want the laptop ans want to destroy it soon.