Overclocking an i7 3770K

Just CPU. I put it in an envelope and too it to my friends house and stuck it on the gigabyte z77 UD5. I checked if any pins were bent or if any pads were scratched, but nothing came up. I am going to do another BIOS flash after dinner and see if that does anything. If not, then I have no clue what to do.

The only two things other than my mobo that I could possibly think of being the issue is my mix-matched ram, and my PSU (650w corsair HX PSU trying to run a high oc on an i7 3770K, high oc on my GTX 670, mobo, pump, lights, fans, hard drive, two SSDs, 8GB total of ram. I might be pushing the max power consumption. )

Well a quick way to see if the memory is the problem is to pull out one of the mismatched sets.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen it go up to 570w in game. At 100% load it should only be about 550w which is why I am saying something.

That is a bit high lol. I would have expected a lot less.

That is a bit high lol. I would have expected a lot less.

Yeah, so, my i7 3770K at 4.8GHz with an overclocked GTX 680 and dedicated GTX 560 Ti for Phsyx with Prime95 AND Unigine Heaven 2.1 on an AX1200 gets me 372 Watts from the wall on load... the lower end of the HX line must not be as efficient.

Well a quick way to see if the memory is the problem is to pull out one of the mismatched sets.

Can't I get the A2 post code error.

I think M-Atx boards are cursed or something....should have stuck with the sr-x board :teehee:

In all seriousness though I have already tried this. I have tried fixing the issue, but my mobo either won't post, or will give me BSODs. No matter which way I have the ram, the only time it works 100% is when I have all the sticks plugged in, and when they are all in... even memtest will run just fine as well as occt with 90% of the memory being tested. :dunno:

I tired calling asus to see if this is a serious issue about a month ago, but I think many of you already know that just because you can get friendly customer service, doesn't always mean you get intelligent customer service. I spent about 2 hours trying to tell the guy that I was having Dram issues, and all he told me to do was clear the Cmos.....so after about 12 cmos clears, I accidentally corrupt the BIOS, and I was able to recover it with a flash drive. As soon as the pc booted up, he told me to clear the Cmos again...... :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: So I never got the issue fixed, and I can confirm that because I tried just before responding to you. :thumbsup:

Seriously, every hour I spend with this board is another hour I wish that I would have bought the UD5 gigabyte board when I had the chance.

Yeah, so, my i7 3770K at 4.8GHz with an overclocked GTX 680 and dedicated GTX 560 Ti for Phsyx with Prime95 AND Unigine Heaven 2.1 on an AX1200 gets me 372 Watts from the wall on load... the lower end of the HX line must not be as efficient.

Or he has a stupidly inefficient pump and lots of high power fans...but it's still rather high IMHO.

Can't I get the A2 post code error.

I think M-Atx boards are cursed or something....should have stuck with the sr-x board :teehee:

In all seriousness though I have already tried this. I have tried fixing the issue, but my mobo either won't post, or will give me BSODs. No matter which way I have the ram, the only time it works 100% is when I have all the sticks plugged in, and when they are all in... even memtest will run just fine as well as occt with 90% of the memory being tested. :dunno:

I tired calling asus to see if this is a serious issue about a month ago, but I think many of you already know that just because you can get friendly customer service, doesn't always mean you get intelligent customer service. I spent about 2 hours trying to tell the guy that I was having Dram issues, and all he told me to do was clear the Cmos.....so after about 12 cmos clears, I accidentally corrupt the BIOS, and I was able to recover it with a flash drive. As soon as the pc booted up, he told me to clear the Cmos again...... :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: So I never got the issue fixed, and I can confirm that because I tried just before responding to you. :thumbsup:

Seriously, every hour I spend with this board is another hour I wish that I would have bought the UD5 gigabyte board when I had the chance.

My Max 5 Gene has been awesome in every aspect. I could try it out for you

You mean like a D5 pump with variable speed set to 5 and a total of 8 high power fans? :evilgrin:

No, because even mine didn't use that much. :lol:

I had a D5 along with 12 radiator fans and all of them combined only used ~70 watts.

If you're seeing that much at the wall you either have a very odd PSU or you're using stupidly high volts to get your overclock stable. :P

My Max 5 Gene has been awesome in every aspect. I could try it out for you

You are more than welcome to try. I would actually be curious to see how it responds to the power through another persons house because this is kind of similar to what happened with my i7 950.

You can PM, email me ([email protected] (and no, I do not care that it is up here since I don't use that email account for sensitive info)), or simply respond to this post with what you want to do. If nothing else I just want to figure out why all of my CPUs in the house needs such high voltage for stable OCs.