GTX 295 crashing computer?

czGLoRy

it is much cheaper to buy a PSU, a 1000 watt cheapo UPS is about $600 here. I still don't know whether the problem is my graphics card, PSU, grounded electricity (so i need a UPS) or processor. I guess only thing I am sure is not bad is the RAM =)

can't buy things, try them, and return here like in the States. I have a pretty decent power supply as well so I am reluctant to purchase a better one. I think my problem might be my processor, OCCT psu test fails again after only 2 minutes when the processor reaches 95 degrees celcius.

Idles at about 52 degrees as well even after cleaning it out and reattaching heatsink, and underclocking it.

can't buy things, try them, and return here like in the States. I have a pretty decent power supply as well so I am reluctant to purchase a better one. I think my problem might be my processor, OCCT psu test fails again after only 2 minutes when the processor reaches 95 degrees celcius.

Idles at about 52 degrees as well even after cleaning it out and reattaching heatsink, and underclocking it.

Have you tried reapplying thermal paste?

@WarWeeny: He has problems with the electrical installation in the house he resides in. The power outlets are not grounded, and the power fluctuates. A new PSU will not fix that.

@czGLoRy: Your CPU temperatures are very high. There's something definitely wrong with the CPU cooling. Don't under or overclock it. Return everything to stock speeds, turn off your PC and start working on the CPU.

Check the cooler for dust, check to see if the fan is moving at all, disable PWM of the fan - let it run 100% for now. If your heatsink and fan are OK, then you'll need some thermal grease. If there is thermal grease on the heatsink and CPU clean it with isopropyl alcohol, apply new thermal grease on the CPU.

While you're at it, check if the CPU is seated properly into the socket (it is, but just in case), reinstall CPU, apply thermal grease (if you don't know how much or if you don't have any experience with thermal grease, check out some YouTube videos - you only need a small amount of thermal grease - the size would be a grain or two of rice), carefully seat the CPU heatsink, be sure that it is seated properly.

Connect the fan to the fan header and run your PC, check the temperatures at idle, check them at load (with stock speeds, of course). If it's all good, then you either didn't had any thermal grease (or you didn't had enough) or the CPU heatsink wasn't seated properly.

Also, maybe the voltages in the BIOS for the CPU are way too high. So maybe load the fail-safe preset and go from there. How about the airflow in the case, is it sufficient? If you have a Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution (like it says in your signature) then you shouldn't worry about airflow, but check all the case fans, just in case.

I don't have any more ideas for now...try some of these things and let us know what is going on. You may have two factors why your PC is shutting down. One being the power in your house and the other being your CPU which is too hot.

Good luck man :)

• 3 months later...

im still having problems with the computer, its just crashing, black screen, have to force reboot, and I have tried everything I can think of to fix it--fail safe settings in bios, reseated the processor, reapplied the paste, cleaned it out thoroughly, ran all the tests I can think of. OCCT is saying my CPU core is getting way hot, but real time monitors are showing temps in the 40s-50s immediately before the crash. I actually got a PSU as well but it won't work at all.. im hopeless... anyone have any ideas of some tests I could run? I managed to run some video stress tests fine overnight without any problems, memtest is fine, OCCT shows hot proc but real time monitors show it at normal temps before crashing.

My current plan is to take it into a shop and hand them a blank check, maybe replace one piece at a time...any better ideas are appreciated:)

Edited by czGLoRy