Firefox hardware acceleration

Daemonarch

Any idea how to completely disable hardware acceleration from firefox ?

I already disabled it from options but it still uses it.

Why would you want to do that? Just curious, since I'm not sure how to disable it entirely. There's probably an option for the shortcut you use to start Firefox though...something like -noacceleration or something like that. I haven't used Firefox since Chrome came out though. :lol:

Why would you want to do that? Just curious, since I'm not sure how to disable it entirely. There's probably an option for the shortcut you use to start Firefox though...something like -noacceleration or something like that. I haven't used Firefox since Chrome came out though. :lol:

Just dont want the extra fan noise from graphics card and the extra heat (summer here about 35-40 deegrees) so i wanna completely disable it.

I been using chrome but changed to firefox cause of some troubles with flash.

I doubt the hardware acceleration adds much heat or fan noise...

About 10-15c higher.Clocks go from 157/300 to 725/1000.

I m not worried about heat I just dont really want to hear gpu fan while browsing.

@Andrewr05

already did that , nothing changed.

Edited by Daemonarch

• 2 weeks later...

Try using these settings...

gfx.direct2d.disabled true

gfx.direct2d.force-enabled false

gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled false

gfx.canvas.azure.enabled false

In general Mozilla products have this problem only, never experienced anything like it with IE or Chrome, I have this issue with Thunderbird but I found no solution. :typing:

Just tried these settings but nothing changed.

I m using chrome again until mozilla decide to add an option that let us disable hardware acceleration.

I m using chrome again until mozilla decide to add an option that let us disable hardware acceleration.

You did disable hardware acceleration. Are you sure you're not thinking of Silverlight/Flash HW acceleration?

Guest Trankop

Edited by Trankop

• 1 month later...

In theory yes i did disable it but it still enabled.Flash hw acceleration is also disabled.

Hi, just a thought: Usually enabling/disabling HA requires a restart for it to take effect (a quick way to restart in newer versions of Firefox is to press Shift + F2, type restart, and Enter). If the preferences aren't getting saved, you can Reset Firefox to overcome most problems.

You can check the HA status via Help (Alt + H) > Troubleshooting Information, scroll down to Graphics; the relevant status columns are Direct2D Enabled, DirectWrite Enabled and GPU Accelerated Windows.

Firefox HA

Troubleshooting HA

Video Driver Blacklisting

Blocked Graphics Drivers

Options > Advanced

about:config Entries

about:config Descriptions

Regards.