GTX 580 microstutter

Hi everyone!

Im having problems with my current setup, Im having microstutter in all of my games. (Css, Lol, Portal 2,..)

I actually have high fps, but still I have some kind of lag in-game, small lag spikes that ruin my games.

This is my setup:

i7 2600k

Asus GTX 580

2x 4gb 1600mhz ram

Asus P8Z68v-pro

Acer 120hz monitor

Windows 7 x64

Im currently playing on 100hz because my screen starts flickering on 120hz.

I've updated all of my drivers, including the Nvidia one.

I also tried different configs and settings.

Counterstrike Source is my favorite game, and the microstutter in this game makes it unplayable for me.

Can someone PLEASE help me, I dont know what to do anymore.

You can't get microstutter with a single card. You're probably just getting stuttering. Try uninstalling your driver, then use DriverSweeper to get rid of it, and install the 301.24 drivers (or the latest one). You might also want to overclock it. I get stuttering at high settings with my GTX 570 at high settings at lower Core Clocks (like at stock).

Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1

You can't get microstutter with a single card.

Sure you can (unless you're arguing semantics). All it takes is a single frame that takes longer to render to cause perceptible stuttering even if 99.9% of the frames are rendering smoothly.

OP - I assume you're running with Vsync and triple-buffering enabled? If not, enable them. If you do have them on already try lowering your FSAA setting a notch or two to see if that smooths things out.

Sure you can (unless you're arguing semantics). All it takes is a single frame that takes longer to render to cause perceptible stuttering even if 99.9% of the frames are rendering smoothly.

OP - I assume you're running with Vsync and triple-buffering enabled? If not, enable them. If you do have them on already try lowering your FSAA setting a notch or two to see if that smooths things out.

I'm not running with Vsync and triple-buffering cuz I don't like the way it runs with Vsync on, it feels every movement I make is delayed..?

Ill try lowering my FSAA.

If you're playing at 1920 x 1080 or higher, you don't really need FSAA higher than 4x to notice a visual difference.

@ComputerEd - I thought Adaptive Vsync is just for the GTX 600 cards?

Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1

If you're playing at 1920 x 1080 or higher, you don't really need FSAA higher than 4x to notice a visual difference.

When Im playing on a Lan-server, Im not having the 'stutter'.

My internet is quite fast, so I don't assume my internet is the problem..

Im running on 60mbps.

When Im playing on a Lan-server, Im not having the 'stutter'.

My internet is quite fast, so I don't assume my internet is the problem..

Im running on 60mbps.

If it doesn't happen on local networks, but it does on online servers then it is your internet connection.

The max down speed isn't really something to worry about on most games, and things like bad ping and dropped packets can make even a blazing fast connection crap to game on. This is why back when Satellite had much faster speeds then DSL/Cable, it still wasn't used by gamers because of the high latency.

If it doesn't happen on local networks, but it does on online servers then it is your internet connection.

The max down speed isn't really something to worry about on most games, and things like bad ping and dropped packets can make even a blazing fast connection crap to game on. This is why back when Satellite had much faster speeds then DSL/Cable, it still wasn't used by gamers because of the high latency.

How can I fix this without changing my internet?

I'm not running with Vsync and triple-buffering cuz I don't like the way it runs with Vsync on, it feels every movement I make is delayed..?

Ill try lowering my FSAA.

Running without Vsync will produce visual anomolies. At most, you'll see a 10 millisecond additional delay with Vsync on versus off...so it's probably not enough to really change your perception of the display time. Try turning it on and leaving it on for a while to see if you "adapt" to it. :P

How can I fix this without changing my internet?

It's entirely possible the game just doesn't sync up well enough with the server - there's probably nothing you can do if local servers work just fine.