How efficient does Asus M5A88-V EVO handle voltage spikes from CPU LLC

I don't have an oscillope to test this so any knowledable asnwer from experience would suffice. a tested formula to calculate overshoot perhaps?

i mean even if it weren't possible for spikes to occur from LLC, if there was woudl my mobo be up for the task to prevent damage to the CPU?

Do you think the mobo cna handle the possible spikes as a result of CPU LLC to keep it under the maximum safe voltage of 1.55V, or posibbly even 1.50V or 1.475?

Say for isntance with LLC enabled, the Load Vcore = 1.43V -1.45V.

At this point i'm not so much concerned about 24/7 OC stability issues as I am about possible CPU damage due to spikes or relatively signficant decrease in life span.

Asus usually does a good job with there voltage regulators. I have ran 2 processors on different X58 mobos that did great but that does not mean your going to see the same results with your system. I would seriously consider just monitoring it from full load to idle with hardware monitor and see if the readings get ot of whack. It will record your min and max so that should let you know if there ia an actual issue. othere then that the only way to really get a fix on the actual value is to look at an ociliscope as you have said.

Hope this helps. Boinker.

I don't think you need to worry about LLC voltage spikes unless you're already at the upper end of the "safe" voltage range. At 1.45 volts I'd be surprised to see a spike much over 1.5 volts at most (for a split second obviously).

Asus usually does a good job with there voltage regulators.

how does this work to protect the CPU in the context of voltage spieks?

I would seriously consider just monitoring it from full load to idle with hardware monitor and see if the readings get ot of whack. It will record your min and max so that should let you know if there ia an actual issue.

ok i tried your suggesting. it hovered around 1.43-1.45V full load and dropped to 1.37V idle after 20 hours of prime95 blend test. the max value havve found no voltage irregularities.

othere then that the only way to really get a fix on the actual value is to look at an ociliscope as you have said.

that is waht i'm worried about after reading around the internet hereand here

the first link says somwhere in the article:

If you have a decent motherboard, load-line calibration really doesn’t buy you anything in terms of a higher overclock (at least it hasn’t for me). It only artificially lowers the vcore that you’ll have to set in your BIOS, but the CPU will still require the same amount of voltage when it’s put under a load.

I’d recommend leaving load line calibration disabled unless you think that you’re having a hard time achieving the overclock that you wanted and suspect excessive vdroop to be the problem.

in my OC i had to use LLC in order to eliminate vdroop and pump enough to juice to get the OC stable,

basically the author is saying if have a decent mobo LLC doesn't help in high OC and should disable LLC unless I need it. but it does help and i do need it in my case so my mobo is not decent?! i take that with a grain of salt because I suspect (but not 100% correct) that my mobo is decent don't you?

The scond link says somwhere in the article:

If you have a decent quality motherboard LLC is a good thing, and not likely to cause any issues at all.

LLC seems to get my OC stable so i like to think i have a decent quality mobo. this statement conflicts with what was said in the first article. i don't expect a response to thse links but just puttin it out there

I don't think you need to worry about LLC voltage spikes unless you're already at the upper end of the "safe" voltage range. At 1.45 volts I'd be surprised to see a spike much over 1.5 volts at most (for a split second obviously).

have you ever heard of an isntance and gradual culmination of where a cpu got fried or eventaullly died from too much spikes over a logn perio of time (all due to LLC)? Edited by Stealth3si

have you ever heard of an isntance and gradual culmination of where a cpu got fried or eventaullly died from too much spikes over a logn perio of time (all due to LLC)?

Personally no. The momentary spikes, when running a reasonable "safe" vcore, probably won't cause any real issues. LLC on newer boards has improved a lot and tends to overshoot a lot less than the initial implementations.

:withstupid:

The better the Voltage regulator the better odds are that the LLC will not have a high overshoot. As Waco said they have improved Drastically sense Prescott was released as they showed the flat line with there lab scope. Depending on what kind of scope they used it may be Just about close to what is really going on in that processors power intake.

And as the Guys at Overclockers have said in there conclusion... "If you have a decent quality motherboard LLC is a good thing, and not likely to cause any issues at all." So I would not worry.

have you ever heard of an isntance and gradual culmination of where a cpu got fried or eventaullly died from too much spikes over a logn perio of time (all due to LLC)?

That Voltage spike happened so Quick that it took a Oscilloscope to detect it in its 2.45 Micro Second timeline... A burst of Extra Voltage that short within the manufactures specifications should not hurt the chip. Not to but anyhow, let me Di-sect this a little more. That extreme load they are talking about is something such as Prime95 or OCCT making that load. This is an unrealistic load for Virtually Any system. Which in turn your chip after it is stability tested will "seldom EVER" see that Kind of load spike. So therefore after you this is taken into account no Problems here.

in my OC i had to use LLC in order to eliminate vdroop and pump enough to juice to get the OC stable,

basically the author is saying if have a decent mobo LLC doesn't help in high OC and should disable LLC unless I need it. but it does help and i do need it in my case so my mobo is not decent?! i take that with a grain of salt because I suspect (but not 100% correct) that my mobo is decent don't you?

I have Yet to use a system that did not need LLC help to maintain a stable OC. I question his reasoning formally. All the systems I have delt with in recent history that had the option got it enabled. My I7920 and I7950 needed it on after 3.60Ghz and the I7 2600K needed it after 4.20. And Be as it may My I7 3930K needed it after 4.20 to maintain.

Its not the Motherboard that needs LLC it is the Chip. LLC is all about how the motherboard reacts to the chips needs. 80% or 0.8mOHM is standard Intel VDroop

Dropp.jpg

Long story short. Use it if you need to. You are Overclocking and worried about lifespan at the same time??

Personally no. The momentary spikes, when running a reasonable "safe" vcore, probably won't cause any real issues. LLC on newer boards has improved a lot and tends to overshoot a lot less than the initial implementations.

By running a reasonable "safe" vcore I can take it that you mean, for example, a load of 1.45V on a 960T that has a max vcore of 1.55V.

:withstupid:

The better the Voltage regulator the better odds are that the LLC will not have a high overshoot. As Waco said they have improved Drastically sense Prescott was released as they showed the flat line with there lab scope. Depending on what kind of scope they used it may be Just about close to what is really going on in that processors power intake.

And as the Guys at Overclockers have said in there conclusion... "If you have a decent quality motherboard LLC is a good thing, and not likely to cause any issues at all." So I would not worry.

That Voltage spike happened so Quick that it took a Oscilloscope to detect it in its 2.45 Micro Second timeline... A burst of Extra Voltage that short within the manufactures specifications should not hurt the chip. Not to but anyhow, let me Di-sect this a little more. That extreme load they are talking about is something such as Prime95 or OCCT making that load. This is an unrealistic load for Virtually Any system. Which in turn your chip after it is stability tested will "seldom EVER" see that Kind of load spike. So therefore after you this is taken into account no Problems here.

I have Yet to use a system that did not need LLC help to maintain a stable OC. I question his reasoning formally. All the systems I have delt with in recent history that had the option got it enabled. My I7920 and I7950 needed it on after 3.60Ghz and the I7 2600K needed it after 4.20. And Be as it may My I7 3930K needed it after 4.20 to maintain.

Its not the Motherboard that needs LLC it is the Chip. LLC is all about how the motherboard reacts to the chips needs. 80% or 0.8mOHM is standard Intel VDroop

post-64925-0-72643900-1342570286_thumb.jpg

Long story short. Use it if you need to. You are Overclocking and worried about lifespan at the same time??

The pic helps.

I'm Overclocking so I believe keeping an eye on the effects of overclocking on lifespan should be on top of hte list. That's just me though.

By running a reasonable "safe" vcore I can take it that you mean, for example, a load of 1.45V on a 960T that has a max vcore of 1.55V.

The pic helps.

I'm Overclocking so I believe keeping an eye on the effects of overclocking on lifespan should be on top of hte list. That's just me though.

Just wondering but how long do you intend to keep the system?

i don't have an ETA but until it gets too slow for internet browsing...believe my my old phenom x3 2.1ghz became too slow for my interent browsing and no i wasn't having some wierd issue that was casuing the issue I just do A LOT of heavy internet browsing that it demands alot cpu intestive as well as shop paint program that was too demanding for the old system.........................

............so that with that being said....when technology liek software, improves and advances to the point where i need better hwardware to meet whatever future needs I may have like heavy software demands then i'm keeping my system as long as i can...