Overclocking my rig

Pec0

In reference to my old thread:

Old Thread

I've tried upping my FSB Frequency by 15. However as soon as I do so and run a stress test with OCCT, the tests stops 3 minutes in as it's hit the 80oC limit. I've been reading through the old thread and some posters are suggesting it should be getting temps of below 50oC under load and I should be able to squeeze 5Ghz out my processor. I have:

•  
  • Intel Dual Core E8500 Wolfdale
  • Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

Can anyone tell me if I should be able achieve those temperatures?

Should I really be able to squeeze 5Ghz out my CPU and

Can anyone given me any idea why my CPU is running so hot so quickly?

yeah fastest I ever got my E8500 was around 4.4GHz, and that wasnt very stable, it would crash in OCCT after an hour or so. I left mine 24/7 at 4.1-4.2GHz, but temps never went above 75C

I agree with Spike that you should try reseating your heatsink and redoing the thermal past because sometihng isnt right. E8500 doesnt run that hot on that small of an OC. What is your vcore at?

• Like 1

yeah fastest I ever got my E8500 was around 4.4GHz, and that wasnt very stable, it would crash in OCCT after an hour or so. I left mine 24/7 at 4.1-4.2GHz, but temps never went above 75C

I agree with Spike that you should try reseating your heatsink and redoing the thermal past because sometihng isnt right. E8500 doesnt run that hot on that small of an OC. What is your vcore at?

Haven't touch the vCore at all. Should I be??

So what technique do you recommend:

2. the single pea sized blob dead centre and press down the heatsink or
  3. the single grain of rice sized blob dead centre and press down the heatsink or
  4. the three line technique and press down the heatsink or
  5. the pea sized blob and spread with a spreader card?

Also I got Akasa Hi Spec thermal compound 455 silver based. Is it safe to assume it's sufficient compound?

Edited by Pec0

Usually different brands of TIM only effects temps by 2-5C max.

As far as applications I can say ive treid all of those and they all work pretty similar. Many people will tell you their tried and true method, but again as long as you dont put a quarter sized blob in the middle we are only talking 2-5C differences (In my experience).

My guess would be that your vCore is set to auto, and your motherboard is raising it up a bunch when it really doenst need to be. Set everything to stock and then boot up making sure your temps are noraml and low (which they should be because everything is stock). Then go back into bios and check what your vcore is set at with all value stock. If I remember correctly stock vcore for those chips was anywhere from 1.10 - 1.18. Then raise the FSB by 15mhz, just like u did, but manually set the vcore to the stock value. If that doesnt work bump vcore up very slightly till it does boot properly and everything. Very slightly as in if it was 1.16 stock set it to 1.18 or something like that.

So check that stuff out and let me know how it goes. Good Luck!

Edited by MasterRy88
  • Like 1

I've owned a few E8400 and E8500 Wolfdale chips, and none of them would do 5.0Ghz even running under water with very aggressive voltage. The only thing I'd do differently (just because I know the chips) is to set everything back to stock and skip starting out the vcore so low. I'd set it straight to 1.30v and then start upping your FSB by 15Mhz at a time just like MasterRy suggested. Watch your temps. If they exceed 75C you'll need to settle for what you get or try reducing vcore a little bit. Add a tad of voltage to the NB - setting it to 1.2v or maybe even up to 1.25v.

Keep a close eye on your memory multiplier / fsb straps because they will have a huge impact on your final OC.

As far as cooling performance of the cooler itself, you might experiment with different mounting positions. If I remember correctly the AC Freezer 7 Pro can be mounted in four different orientations on Intel platforms, two on AMD. So you might find that in your situation you get better performance from a certain installation orientation.

I've owned a few E8400 and E8500 Wolfdale chips, and none of them would do 5.0Ghz even running under water with very aggressive voltage. The only thing I'd do differently (just because I know the chips) is to set everything back to stock and skip starting out the vcore so low. I'd set it straight to 1.30v and then start upping your FSB by 15Mhz at a time just like MasterRy suggested. Watch your temps. If they exceed 75C you'll need to settle for what you get or try reducing vcore a little bit. Add a tad of voltage to the NB - setting it to 1.2v or maybe even up to 1.25v.

Keep a close eye on your memory multiplier / fsb straps because they will have a huge impact on your final OC.

As far as cooling performance of the cooler itself, you might experiment with different mounting positions. If I remember correctly the AC Freezer 7 Pro can be mounted in four different orientations on Intel platforms, two on AMD. So you might find that in your situation you get better performance from a certain installation orientation.

Ok guys, I'm going to have a pop right now. Couple of quick questions:

2. What's the NB? Edit it's Northbridge which are the chips on the motherboard presumably I OC these in the bios too. I'll have a pop.
  3. Do you run a stress test after every increase? If so a full hour test with OCCT?
  4. Also not entirely sure what this means: Keep a close eye on your memory multiplier / fsb straps because they will have a huge impact on your final OC.

Lasty I can't orientate my AC Freezer pro at all unfortunately. It won't fit any other way than the way I have it due to it's size and the location of the cooling pipes on my Asus P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard.

Edited by Pec0

http://alexanderhuzar.angelfire.com/files/fsb_strap.htm

Pretty good explanation of FSB straps.

If you wanna do quick stress testing you can do Intel Burn Test, that one really jacks up your temps quick. so if it passes that you can do a few more 15mhz increases in the FSB but after a couple increases and IBT(Intel Burn Test) Passes you should definetly do longer stress testing with either OCCT or Prime 95.

NB needs volts to keep up with the extra speeds that are going on. And what wevsspot said is totally fine about the vcore, I was just trying to make sure that your heat sink wasnt placed horribly and thats why the temps were high but his method is totally fine. :thumbsup:

Edited by MasterRy88

http://alexanderhuzar.angelfire.com/files/fsb_strap.htm

Pretty good explanation of FSB straps.

If you wanna do quick stress testing you can do Intel Burn Test, that one really jacks up your temps quick. so if it passes that you can do a few more 15mhz increases in the FSB but after a couple increases and IBT(Intel Burn Test) Passes you should definetly do longer stress testing with either OCCT or Prime 95.

NB needs volts to keep up with the extra speeds that are going on. And what wevsspot said is totally fine about the vcore, I was just trying to make sure that your heat sink wasnt placed horribly and thats why the temps were high but his method is totally fine. :thumbsup:

•  
  • Updated Bios with 1.30 vCore.
  • Changed the FSB to 348Mhz. Increment increase of 15
  • Ran Intel Burn Test
  • Temps over 80oC within a few seconds
  • Stopped tests.

I think I'll reseat the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste, something can't be good for the temps to get so high so quick, surely.

Edited by Pec0

At this point you probably don't have any choice other than to remove, clean and re-seat your cooler. There has to be a reason it isn't doing a better job keeping things cooler at such a small bump in FSB and CPU frequency. What utility(s) are you using to measure cpu temperature?

At this point you probably don't have any choice other than to remove, clean and re-seat your cooler. There has to be a reason it isn't doing a better job keeping things cooler at such a small bump in FSB and CPU frequency. What utility(s) are you using to measure cpu temperature?

Using IntelBurnTestV2 as recommended above.

I redid the thermal paste and am now idling 36oC. Only ran IntelBurnTestV2 for a 10 to 15 minutes for a quick test but and didn't go above 65oC. I'm absolutely delighted. I'm now in a position to start upping my FSB frequency a little. Cannot thank guys on this forum enough for taking the time to post and help out a noobster like myself. :biggrin:

I will report back my result when I get round to running a full OCCT test.

Edited by Pec0