Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus OR Asus Xonar D2?

scorpain

Hey everyone :D

I'm looking for a new sound card to go with my new Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset.

Money isnt too much of an issue but Asus released their new ROG sound card.

I'm all for their ROG gear, i have their GTX 580 and motherboard both by Asus's ROG.

But i was wondering is the ROG sound card really worth it? Under their discription they seem to have put alot of attention into sound cancelling but i dont really need that as i'm chilled at home when i game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks all :D

I have a Xonar Dx I think, and I love it. The thing is though.. it depends what your playing it through. The Tiamat 7.1 analog headset will be fine since you're using 5 analog jacks to the sound card and not getting limited by usb.

The improvements of my xonar are noticeably dimished usually because of the limits of other devices. I don't know how to express the difference between the standard output qualities and 192KHz, it is kinda like taking badly fit earplugs out, you still hear almost everything, but sounds are just expanded, and i'm not talking music so let's not get into the nyquist stuff. But when I have to send sound through hdmi and depending on the recieveing device, optical, you're limited to those lower qualities and while sounding alot better than onboard sound, can be annoying that your sound isn't all that it could be ;)

If you're using the soundcard for gaming, I would go with the ROG since it has the extra gaming drivers and engine (GX 3.0). The sound cancelling is for your mic, so I guess that's less for you're enjoyment than it is for your friend's listening to you type on the keyboard. But the rest of the features I think would work out better than the D2 (for gaming).

Hey everyone :D

I'm looking for a new sound card to go with my new Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset.

Money isnt too much of an issue but Asus released their new ROG sound card.

I'm all for their ROG gear, i have their GTX 580 and motherboard both by Asus's ROG.

But i was wondering is the ROG sound card really worth it? Under their discription they seem to have put alot of attention into sound cancelling but i dont really need that as i'm chilled at home when i game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks all :D

I would say to go with the best Omega card you can buy. The phoebes has a couple of issues that really stand out to me. One is the fact that some people have been having some issues with the sound quality. Stonerboy was the one who pointed this out to me, but basically it comes down to driver issues. That not be much of an issue, because I am sure there will be some fixes for it in the near future.

The next issue I have is the sampling rate. On the ROG card the sampling rate is 96 khz. That is pretty decent, but when you compare it to the asus xonar card at 230 bucks, you get 192khz sampling rate. Same thing with any omega card at the 200 dollar price point.

So the ROG card really seems to lack the performance of other cards at its price point. However, the ROG sort of has an ace in the hole. It does have an awesome headphone amplifier which could be a major factor since you are looking to marry your sound card to your headphones.

For me, I would go with an omega sound card rather than the ROG card, but at the same time the ROG card would not be a bad choice. In the end it comes down to what sort of performance you are looking for.

I'm loving my Xonar DSX. I wish the EAX emulation mode (GX button) was a little better, but it still sounds way better than my integrated Supreme X-Fi sound (really a realtek chip with extra software) on my old ROG Rampage III board did, even though it supported EAX better.