Guessing temperatures on unlocked cores

I have an unlocked processor, it's a dual core unlocked to a triple core and overclocked like crazy. So naturally the temperature sensors of the cores don't work.

I wanted to get the closest estimate to the ACTUAL temperatures as I could (compared to the motherboard sensor under the CPU that does work when unlocked.)

I did a 3 hour benchmark with OCCTPT, Made sure to reset my CPU back to dual core and left my cooling configuration exactly as I have it any other time.

Doing this I learned that the motherboard sensor was ALWAYS between 9.5C and 11C higher than the actual core temperatures. If the CPU core read 20C, the motherboard sensor would say between 29.5C and 31C, and so on.

I left it run 3 hours, monitoring it all the way with screenshots every few seconds from FRAPS auto-screenshot feature, as well as watching when I could.

Do you guys think this sound like an accurate way to understand my overclock's temperature? Because my overclock ranges from 36C to 49C at all times according to my external sensor: And it's a pretty hefty overclock (3.2GHz to 4.29GHz, double core to triple core.)

So that's basically saying that my CPU is ACTUALLY between 25C and 42C at all times.

Something to keep in mind: Many people say these temperatures can't be right automatically: But you have to remember that my dual core was manufactured as a quad core in the first place: Just had 2 of the cores locked to be sold as a dual core. So if you keep that in mind, these temperatures make a little more sense.

I considered the internal sensors might be off due to the low temperatures recorded. But that would mean BOTH internal core sensors were off. I have a VERY hefty air cooling set-up, with case flow well over 700cfm. CPU cooler is a Hyper 212+ with 120CFM-220CFM push/pull config and AS5 spread very meticulously. Keep this in mind when answering about whether these temperatures and this method seem accurate.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

ok,here's what I figured out after 2 years of running phenom2-550 at quad cores.My cpu also runs about 10c higher than the actual cores so I'd say you are pretty close with your temps. If I stress test it I usally run at about 50c even when oc'ed, almost the same as yours. I've used hw monitor, aida 64 , asus probe , and every other temp software out there to come to this conclusion. I find when you unlock the cpu will usally run 8c higher than at dual core, so just benchmark at dual and then add 8 to 10c when you unlock . I think you are pretty well in the ballpark whit your reasoning.:thumbsup:

Is motherboard sensor meaning system temp? What software was used to read the temps?

My motherboard has a sensor built-in: Sits underneath the CPU in the socket. Since it's an ASUS motherboard: I usually just use AI Suite II to read it: Since it came with the motherboard. But a lot of benchmarking programs also read the sensor:

Btw the sensor is labeled as "CPU" in every program, but it's just reading the underside of the CPU, not internally reading the cores themselves.

To read the temps for this particular test I used: AI Suite II, OCCTPT and Everest. Just to make sure they all matched, which they did. AI Suite doesn't read internal core temps, but the other two do. Still, since it's always unlocked (except for this particular test): I don't usually need internal temp readings since they're not available. So I usually just use AI Suite in day-to-day usage.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

The sensors are not set to run higher then the center of the processor. This is called the Tcase temp. The temps shown are actual individual core temps and there cannot phisically be any sensor at the center of the CPU. The Tcase temps are generally 10 degrees or so below the core temps.

That said, there is a max Tj on every processor and a max Tcase. Some run up to the max Tj and on Intel this is a nono. Most of intels chips max TCase now a day are 68 so loaded temps of 78 will be safe.

Edited by Drdeath

The sensors are not set to run higher then the center of the processor. This is called the Tcase temp. The temps shown are actual individual core temps and there cannot phisically be any sensor at the center of the CPU. The Tcase temps are generally 10 degrees or so below the core temps.

That said, there is a max Tj on every processor and a max Tcase. Some run up to the max Tj and on Intel this is a nono. Most of intels chips max TCase now a day are 68 so loaded temps of 78 will be safe.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

OP - I saw a similar difference between core temps and the motherboard sensor on my unlocked CPU as well. Your temps look great!

With the test running for three hours everything should be heated evenly, so that the difference of 10c can be used in the event that once again the cpu is in the same heated up state. A test of 15min for an oc could prove disasterous.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

OP - I saw a similar difference between core temps and the motherboard sensor on my unlocked CPU as well. Your temps look great!

Patrol boy, yes it does.

pl_patch_color2.gif