[SOLVED] Memory matching

I recently bought 4GB of the same RAM I already had. Then needed a few bucks, and sold it for what I bought it for.

I know I'm going to re-upgrade it again, but I was wondering.. You're supposed to use the same type of memory for the most efficiency, I know this. But how much of an issue would it cause to add CORSAIR Dominator to my existing rig, which has CORSAIR XMS3.

As far as I can tell: they're the same chip with different heat spreaders. But this assumption is just because of identical specs and similar serial numbers, could be different for all I know.

--I intend to get the same stock voltage and timings as my existing memory: But dominator's cheaper and also I like the heat spreaders.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

I recently RMA'd a pair of 2GB sticks and was given the same amount back in g.Skill Ripjaws. They work totally fine in my system, no instability, but they run at different speeds... :dunno:

It hasn't caused any problems yet, but its still very odd. So, to answer your question, they should be fine. :cheers:

Alright, thanks DrDeath and d6mg. I can have room for 2 sets of dual channel memory, so I can do this then. I think I'll try to get 8GB and put them in slots 1A and 1B (The ones recommended for overclocked DIMMs.) If I can't OC them as high, I'll just reverse the slots.

Got my answer, thanks guys. +1 to both of you.