My first AR-15 build (pics)

Gr4vitas

Just finished my first build, total cost was about $800. To buy this gun off the shelf you'd have to pay something in the realm of $1300.

If you want a parts list let me know, but I doubt anyone here will know / care so I'm not going to put one down :P

Yes I built it from the ground up, I didn't just buy an assembled upper and lower and stick them together.

It's an SPR build, so more designed for long range / precision marksmanship.

DSCN0445.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0399.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

DSCN0393.jpg

DSCN0391.jpg

100_0139.jpg

Edited by Gr4vitas

Very nice, how difficult was it to do a complete lower and the upper? I have seen videos of people doing it, and it doesn't look to difficult. I want to get one soonish, and was thinking of doing a ground up build...

btw I take it the fun switch doesn't work ;)

Edited by greengiant912

Figured I'd post a few pics of it while I was assembling it, I didn't take any pictures of the lower being half assembled, sort of like how you try to take pics of your new rig mid assembly but your just too @!#$^ excited to build it you forget until your done :rolleyes:

I dye'd all the furniture black as you saw in the first post, here it was all OD green.

2012-03-29_15-53-52_725.jpg

2012-03-31_09-50-11_960.jpg

2012-03-31_09-50-25_885.jpg

2012-04-12_20-12-02_853.jpg

2012-04-12_20-11-45_73.jpg

2012-04-17_17-46-16_438.jpg

Very nice, how difficult was it to do a complete lower and the upper? I have seen videos of people doing it, and it doesn't look to difficult. I want to get one soonish, and was thinking of doing a ground up build...

btw I take it the fun switch doesn't work ;)

Assembling the lower / upper is a piece of cake, easier and less painful than building a computer lol. At first it seems a little daunting but after you really look into it its actually quite simple, after watching one 5 minute video on how its done you'll be like "damn thats really not a big deal". The only part that takes any kind of special precision or anything is installing the barrel, specifically tightening down the barrel nut, you need a torque wrench to set it at 40ft/lbs then tighten from their until your holes / teeth line up for your gas tube.

If I had to compare my first AR build to my first computer build, the AR was 1000x easier / less stressful / less frustrating.

Although I have to say its a little less rewarding, after I assembled my entire lower in about 45 minutes ( could have gone faster but was going slow making sure I did everything right) I was a little disappointing at how quickly and easily and stress free the entire operation was lol it makes it a little less satisfying I find when it just goes together smoothly and easily.

Still hella fun though :P just as much excitement as when I did my first rig build!

Edit: And no the fun switch doesn't work, don't have the money to start my own business :down:

Though if you haven't been around guns much, you'll find out quickly that the 'fun' switch is only fun for about 2 magazine dumps, then your just like "Well thats a total waste of ammo / money". And not really that fun lol.

Also if your going to buy an AR, definitely build it. Same exact principle as buying a "gaming" dell from bestbuy as apposed to building your own. But even better because gun parts don't "out date". In 4 years I could go sell this gun for $1300 and make $500 profit. The same as I could today.

Edited by Gr4vitas

Nice gun. Taken it to the range yet?

What caliber are you running?

Yea I took it out to shoot at a local place people shoot (not a range just a big field with a good backstop) shot about 300 rounds just more of a function test than anything.

After a few hundred rounds I went ahead and dialed in the red dot on paper, it was almost lined up perfect just had to bring it up a little out of the box (just good luck).

The first kind of group you can see is a little low about 1 1/8 inches low. After a little adjustment I brought it right up into the bulls-eye nicely. This was at about 60 yards standing no rest. The flyers are because I shot quite a bit my arms were getting tired lol.

This is technically built to be a scope gun, but the glass I'm putting on it is quite expensive so I have to save for it. For now I'm just using the red dot for some plinking with it. I should be able to keep sub MOA at 600+ yards with this barrel though. And I should be able to hit an 18 inch steel plate at 1000 yards.

2012-04-26_19-35-24_532.jpg

Edited by Gr4vitas

Nice, I'd like to build one someday. Just not sure when.

Thats the beauty of building one, just start picking up parts, $20 here, $50 there the only thing that costs big money (and thats only if you want a fancy rifle) is the barrel. Mine cost over $300 because it was custom made but you can get a decent quality 16 inch standard run of the mill barrel for $175.

The great thing is, you could go out and buy a couple parts like I said $20 part here $50 part there, and then ever buy anything again for 5 years and then go back and buy the rest of your parts and you won't have to worry about your old parts being "obsolete" in some way. Unlike computers these parts don't really change, people make new stuff all the time, new and innovative things. But a part you by now will be just as relevant 5 years from now.

Edited by Gr4vitas

Yeah I would def build my own AR. The whole point of a rifle like that is to customize it to your tastes and or uses.

I have a few guns right now, the last one I bought was a .22 Beretta pistol, have a Remington pump shotty as well...

The .22 is nice for plinking, so cheap to fire...

I want to get an over-under to replace the pump, as I have been getting into sport clays more...

The next gun I am looking to get is a 9mm Springfield XDm sub-compact for Concealed Carry.

Someday I will get to the AR lol...

If you want a parts list let me know, but I doubt anyone here will know / care so I'm not going to put one down :P

Hell yes. Give us a parts list and where you bought everything at. The devil's in the details :)

+ 1

60 yds? Pah, you ought to be able to shoot that iron sights. :evilgrin:

The red dot doesn't have magnification, so its basically iron sights, and I could do just as well with irons :P (probably better, I'm very new to red dots)

Parts list:

Spikes Tactical Blemish Stripped Upper Receiver

Mega Machine Stripped Lower Receiver (painted the markings my self)

Yankee Hill Machine Bolt Carrier Group

YHM Charging Handle

Compass Lake Engineering 18 inch 1:7 Stainless Steel .750 at gas .950 profile 2.6 pound barrel (custom made)

Samson Evolution 15" Handguards

Magpul MOE grip and stock (originally OD Green, Dye'd them black)

Primary Arms MicroDot (MD-06)

YHM Buffer Tube Assembly

YHM H3 Buffer weight