• 2 weeks later...

Bumping your own topic to insult others?

Your comments and examples make this look like a troll thread.

Personally I wouldnt mess with either of those heatsinks or even use that MB. As cost seems to be an issue do what ever you feel is best. Or if you have access to both styles try them both and see what gives the best temps.

If your look for a cooling solution that will work and cost is less of an issue then the impression Im getting here, try something like a Antec Kuhler H2O 620 that you can turn the cooler to the orentation of the cpu.

Hmm. You're wrong. The Dell 305w PSU made by Delta has been known to power 8800GTS 640's for years without issues so you're wrong there. Personally, I had a dell with this awesome Delta made PSU that powered an X1800XT PE that was heavily OC'd and thats with the CPU which was OC'd and dual optical drives and 4x 1gb DDR2 modules and a SB Audigy 2 so glad you know your "facts" that you decided to share with everyone. Next I suppose you'll say people need 1200w PSU's just to run a Rage XL 8mb video card eh?

Btw, the PSU you think is soooo poor has been powering an 8800GT ( slightly higher power draw than a 9800GT ) for about 2 years now :) BUUUUURN!

And let me guess, you think the fact that the PSU is made by Delta means nothing I bet? You need to take a trip to johnny guru's site and spend a week reading that before you pretend to know anything about PSU's ;)

Take your trolling and mis information elsewhere please because it is not welcome here where I am looking for helpful information based on fact and not your personal, biased opinions :D

You need to really need to really quit pretending you know computers. (Read the minimum specs on the Nvidea 8800). LOL, you think I make this crap up?

#1 the minimum recommended PSU for the card is 450W and 28 AMP rail.

#2 you have a 305W PSU and it ain't even that trust me. The rail in your PSU is not even 20 AMPS.

So at that, someone comes here and reads YOUR MIS INFORMATION and uses their Dell with a 8800 or higher and kills their GPU when 8800 minimum specs are 450W and 28 AMP rail who is the goat. (NOT ME)

If you knew anything about underpowering a system, you would not be blabbing your pie hole. Sorry to be point but after your post..... Sure the card may work but can really go at anytime.

This is NOT mis information and I suggest you stick with Dell and have a nice life. There is always a noob that starts this crap.

OOOH, I forgot, this is all coming from someone who wants to cool their chipsets on a crap dell motherboard....:haha: :haha: :haha:

Call it the way that is is! (Quit lying)

Edited by Drdeath

Your comments and examples make this look like a troll thread.

Personally I wouldnt mess with either of those heatsinks or even use that MB. As cost seems to be an issue do what ever you feel is best. Or if you have access to both styles try them both and see what gives the best temps.

If your look for a cooling solution that will work and cost is less of an issue then the impression Im getting here, try something like a Antec Kuhler H2O 620 that you can turn the cooler to the orentation of the cpu.

Thanx Hyper, he is somethin else.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well...death is wrong.

You need to really need to really quit pretending you know computers. (Read the minimum specs on the Nvidea 8800). LOL, you think I make this crap up?

#1 the minimum recommended PSU for the card is 450W and 28 AMP rail.

#2 you have a 305W PSU and it ain't even that trust me. The rail in your PSU is not even 20 AMPS.

So at that, someone comes here and reads YOUR MIS INFORMATION and uses their Dell with a 8800 or higher and kills their GPU when 8800 minimum specs are 450W and 28 AMP rail who is the goat. (NOT ME)

If you knew anything about underpowering a system, you would not be blabbing your pie hole. Sorry to be point but after your post..... Sure the card may work but can really go at anytime.

This is NOT mis information and I suggest you stick with Dell and have a nice life. There is always a noob that starts this crap.

OOOH, I forgot, this is all coming from someone who wants to cool their chipsets on a crap dell motherboard....:haha: :haha: :haha:

Call it the way that is is! (Quit lying)

You really should try to learn how to talk to people without being a complete ass. :lol:

Now, that said, the 305 watt PSU in the Dell he's talking about can easily handle a 9800GT or 4850. The stock PSU can push 22 amps on the 12v rail and a 9800GT won't even pull half of that. You should know better than to go by manufacturers "minimum PSU" requirements. :lol:

So yeah - you should probably make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you berate someone for being "incorrect".

ANYWAY - back on topic - I'd go with the heatpipe cooler. The contact patch will cover the actual die space of the CPU so it'll probably cool better than that crappy aluminum thing.

First off Dr. Death, I have no idea how you can even coment on him not knowing computers because quite honestly I am quite bad at computers and I still know more than you. Dr. Death, remember that whole AMD BD cpu is crap argument we had months ago? You were so convinced that I didn't know . and then guess what? You did a whole lot of benchmarks and the i7 pretty much destroyed the 8150 for not a whole lot extra.

You have been wrong about AMD, you have been wrong about the hyper 212 plus, and you have been wrong about a lot of other things too. Listen I am no PC guru. I try my best to help, and I am usually wrong. I admit it one hundred fold and most of the times (with the exception of waco because I like arguing with him) there are far superior people on this site (for computers). I certainly do not act as if I just know everything about computers and spread BS like you do (sometimes I spread BS due to my odd experiences, but that is besides the point). You are generally condescending and annoying. The whole "quit pretending you know computers" gambit should really be directed at you. This guy seems to try to do the best he can with computers, granted this thread is a bit confusing, but I don't think he is in a position where he can throw a ton of money at this, and he shouldn't be pegged as a troll just because he is in an awkward spot.

@the OP. Sorry about Dr. Death. He has been haunting me for quite some time and if you watch him respond, you will see what a wonderful job he will do of choping up my response to suit his own opinions.

I was hoping the Waco, Elcaptain, or Wevspot would reply but I can only assume that they have no found your thread. I personally do not have experience with your platform, so the best I can offer you is my logic.

Obviously your second choice is sold and you are left with your first option. I honestly do not know how much the diagonal orientation messes with things, but have you thought about a simple cheap AM2 heat sink? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226048 this looks like it wont give you too much trouble as long as the mobo has standard AM2 mounting holes. If you can, I would stay away from any heatsinks for dell PCs.

Since I actually read that you are upgrading the PSU, I am not going to hound you about it.

I am probably missing something fairly obvious, so once again, I will hope that someone better (and nicer) than me will give you more in depth direction.

Well...death is wrong.

You really should try to learn how to talk to people without being a complete butt. :lol:

Now, that said, the 305 watt PSU in the Dell he's talking about can easily handle a 9800GT or 4850. The stock PSU can push 22 amps on the 12v rail and a 9800GT won't even pull half of that. You should know better than to go by manufacturers "minimum PSU" requirements. :lol:

So yeah - you should probably make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you berate someone for being "incorrect".

ANYWAY - back on topic - I'd go with the heatpipe cooler. The contact patch will cover the actual die space of the CPU so it'll probably cool better than that crappy aluminum thing.

I was looking over my post, hoping that it would attract your (or another guru's) and it seems you have beat me to it :lol:

Well...death is wrong.

You really should try to learn how to talk to people without being a complete butt. :lol:

Look who is calling the kettle black. A good friend of mine blew his GPU on a prebuilt when I told him he needed a better PSU. LOL. Pushing PSU well over 90% also leads to potential failure expecially with the ones they put in Dell computers with cheap compnents. it is just terrible advise to recommend a GPU with a 305 watt which second of all does not come close to the manufacturers minimum specs...:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Better yet, overclocking forum persons with some background would never recommend this but .. i will leave that alone. 305W and it probably does not push that.

I would bet it does not push 305W. Those PSU's have 15-18Amp rails and if you know how to calculte watts , that does not equate to 305W

Edited by Drdeath

Look who is calling the kettle black. A good friend of mine blew his GPU on a prebuilt when I told him he needed a better PSU. LOL. Pushing PSU well over 90% also leads to potential failure expecially with the ones they put in Dell computers with cheap compnents. it is just terrible advise to recommend a GPU with a 305 watt which second of all does not come close to the manufacturers minimum specs...:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

So because you know one person who did something stupid no stock PSU is worth anything? :lol:

Dell PSUs are usually quite stout. The particular model we're talking about here has 22 amps on the 12v rail and is more than powerful enough for an 89 watt CPU and a 9800GT (which will pull less than 150 watts).