560 watercooling block question

Fudge

i have the MSI GeForce GTX 560 810MHZ 1GB 4GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Video Card i am highly considering purchasing a custom watercooling kit. i have read into the HEATKILLER GPU-X³ GTX 560 but everything i read about it, people use it on the 560 TI's, i know its kind of a dumb question but im new to custom water cooling, but i have done much research and this is probly the only thing im completly unsure of, i dont wanna dish out 200 for 2 waterblocks for my video cards and find that i cant use them. im pretty sure my video cards are reference, but im not 100% sure on how to tell if they really are reference designed

i have the MSI GeForce GTX 560 810MHZ 1GB 4GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Video Card i am highly considering purchasing a custom watercooling kit. i have read into the HEATKILLER GPU-X³ GTX 560 but everything i read about it, people use it on the 560 TI's, i know its kind of a dumb question but im new to custom water cooling, but i have done much research and this is probly the only thing im completly unsure of, i dont wanna dish out 200 for 2 waterblocks for my video cards and find that i cant use them. im pretty sure my video cards are reference, but im not 100% sure on how to tell if they really are reference designed

maybe this will help :http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/home

maybe this will help :http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/home

i have used his before, the only options that come up for msi is 560 ti =(

Edit: i guess ill have to take apart one of my videocards to take pictures for them lol

Edited by Fudge

Just find yourself a nice universal GPU waterblock, like the Swiftech MCW80. You don't need anything for the memory, and just place an 80mm fan on the VRM's. Saves some money.

thanks for the tip, ill definately look into it, maybe ill get some of those heatsinks i could apply to the VRM's

thanks for the tip, ill definately look into it, maybe ill get some of those heatsinks i could apply to the VRM's

Np. Yeah, some cards may already have heatsinks on the VRM's when you remove the stock heatsink. ASUS does that with the DCII's. It's a shame that MSI doesn't do that with theirs... except for maybe their Hawk lines.

Np. Yeah, some cards may already have heatsinks on the VRM's when you remove the stock heatsink. ASUS does that with the DCII's. It's a shame that MSI doesn't do that with theirs... except for maybe their Hawk lines.

Be careful when saying this though, these ram and vrm heatsinks are designed to be used directly under the cooling fan, they may not be enough in the lower airflow situation when using a core waterblock

Be careful when saying this though, these ram and vrm heatsinks are designed to be used directly under the cooling fan, they may not be enough in the lower airflow situation when using a core waterblock

I've been using just GPU only waterblocks and an 80mm fan on the VRM's for the GTX 460 1GB's and GTX 560Ti's, overclocked to 1212mV's and 1150mV's respectively.

I've been using just GPU only waterblocks and an 80mm fan on the VRM's for the GTX 460 1GB's and GTX 560Ti's, overclocked to 1212mV's and 1150mV's respectively.

I'm not saying they won't work, only that you would need to introduce another source of airflow, like you just said you did with the 80mm fan.

I was just expressing caution about using those heatsinks passively

I'm not saying they won't work, only that you would need to introduce another source of airflow, like you just said you did with the 80mm fan.

I was just expressing caution about using those heatsinks passively

Oh. Yeah, of course. The more cooling, the better. :cheers:

here is some info i pulled off of Dangerden's webpage.... in the New Features "Compatible with Reference Design GTX560 cards"

Danger Den - DD-GTX560

The DD-GTX560 is designed to provide maximum cooling for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX-560 Video Card

Confirmed compatible with:

•EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (01G-P3-1561-AR)

•EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Maximum Graphics Edition Crysis 2 (01G-P3-1563-A1)

•EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked (01G-P3-1563-AR)

•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB

•ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Ti AMP! Edition 1 GB

Not Compatible with:

•Gainward GeForce® GTX 560 Ti 1024MB Golden Sample

•Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI

•GIGABYTE N560SO-1GI-950

•ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Direct Cu II 1 GB

•EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked (01G-P3-1463-KR)

•EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (01G-P3-1460-KR)

•MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin FROZR II

•Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2048MB (NE5X56T01142-1041F)

•Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Sonic 1 GB

•ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB

•MSI N580 Lightning

New Features :

•Compatible with Reference Design GTX560 cards

•Copper base and Smoke Top (translucent so you can see the channels)

Just find yourself a nice universal GPU waterblock, like the Swiftech MCW80. You don't need anything for the memory, and just place an 80mm fan on the VRM's. Saves some money.

I'm sure the VRMs are a bit cooler on newer boards but on my 4870x2 and 5970 the VRMs needed active cooling FAR more than the GPUs themselves. The primary limitation for most cards these days seems to be the VRM temps rather than the core temps.

I tried a passive setup with water only on the GPUs on one of my 4870x2s and even with a Vantec tornado the VRM temps were out of control.

Memory isn't as important but over time high temps will cause damage...just ask Clay about that. :lol: