OverClocking My Machine

If you want to see some photos, they are on my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.337437562963890.80769.100000929461580&type=3

And i have a problem... the case and insides consist of:

ThermalTake V9

Nox Krypton Modular 800W - 6x12v rails 4 of wich with 20A and 2 of 33A

Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Phenom II x2 550 3.1Ghz @ x4 B50 2.9Ghz

Arctic Cooling Frezzer 7 Rev 2.0

Gskill Sniper 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v

OCZ Ram Freezer

Asus EAH5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5

Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro 64MB X-Ram

1 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

1 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

1 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green

1 x 300GB Western Digital 2.5"

1 x 100GB Toshiba 2.5"

The Problems are:

dxdiag is reading only 753Mb of my 1gb card;

Im having trouble to play dc universe online: slow as a turtle

and getting some blue screens. Well, first of all the overclock is automatic, wich, i think, it's not a good idea, then there's the problem i cant get what i should out of my pc.

I sent my graphics card to rma, but they told me "she's" fine and working.

I thought it could be the voltages, but i cant test, cuz im getting my card only tomorrow. As i am used to see your reviews and i think you are "pros" and trustworthy, i brought my situation upon you.

Can someone gimme some instructions on how to overclock it safely and get it to have some more juice?

I know i wont go far with this air cooler, but i cannot and wont change it for now... When i have the money i will be buying a 6 core or the 960t with watercooling xD lol, but for the next year, im stuck with what i have, so i asking you, please help me!!!!!

I have a feeling the problem is that your system is trying to reserve resources. Try setting your BIOS back to default settings and see what happens to your video memory.

In regards to DC universe online, what is your internet speed and ping like? Maybe that is the problem?

I have a feeling the problem is that your system is trying to reserve resources. Try setting your BIOS back to default settings and see what happens to your video memory.

In regards to DC universe online, what is your internet speed and ping like? Maybe that is the problem?

No... The connection has a real download speed of 1.24Mb/s(its a 10Mb/s internet) and a upload speed of 102.96 Kb/s(it's a 843kb/s) My ping to www.soe.com is 145ms(max, min and avrg, always the same through cmd line) with 0% loss of data... and again to your first question: No... tried it, and it's allways the same... i've done a bit of research, and, apparently, people with 8Gb+ memory allways get 753MB on dxdiag as for the graphics memory i mean... i was trying to force my ram voltage to it's factory default(1.5V) with its factory speed: 1600Mhz... i dont know what to do to my cpu though... that's what i wanted to overclock... but within the safe range... the problem is: my pc go to damn slow... :'( im frustrated... i dunno whats wrong... but thanks anyway

Your Internet is running at 100% rated speeds you realize that?

10megabits converts to 1.25megabytes.

There is a difference between megabits and megabytes. It is confusing but that is the way it has been chosen to measure Internet speeds.

Edit 32bit or 64bit operating system?

Edited by Stonerboy779

The download speed is a bit slow for the game. Even runescape on max settings (which isn't much) is choppy at 2.7 megabyte download speed for me.

As for overclocking the CPU, you will first need to download Prime 95 and real temp. Rune prime 95 at stock speeds to see if you even have a currently stable PC, and check real temp to see how good your CPU cooler is.

Report back with your temps at full load and that will tell us how much overclocking head room there is to begin with.

I will say though, that the 3 things that are going to give you a big difference in performance is buying a new CPU, GPU, or and SSD. Overclocking will help, but do not expect to see a massive performance boost. Basically just don't get your hopes up too high.

The download speed is a bit slow for the game. Even runescape on max settings (which isn't much) is choppy at 2.7 megabyte download speed for me.

As for overclocking the CPU, you will first need to download Prime 95 and real temp. Rune prime 95 at stock speeds to see if you even have a currently stable PC, and check real temp to see how good your CPU cooler is.

Report back with your temps at full load and that will tell us how much overclocking head room there is to begin with.

I will say though, that the 3 things that are going to give you a big difference in performance is buying a new CPU, GPU, or and SSD. Overclocking will help, but do not expect to see a massive performance boost. Basically just don't get your hopes up too high.

im on a 64bit win7 ultimate, Stonerboy779

I have to kindly disagree Tjj226_Angel... After setting my voltage on the cpu to around 1.43V, and setting my multiplier to 17x, with 210 fsb, still with the 4 cores unlocked, i'm getting 41ºC on the CPU and 39ºC on the NorthBridge with prime95... stable, for now... i am just a bit afraid, cuz it's my first overclocking... by the way, i allready tried to play dc universe again, and it doesn't feel like it's the same pc... damn... lolol the game got really smooth... and, yeah, unfortunantly i am using an internet that downloads at 1,24... it should be at least the double, but, again, unfortunantly, the wire only gives me this lame 1.24... this is a real download speed... on microsoft's website i can actually download this fast :) lol... we don't have fiber where i live yet... :(

BTW i am portuguese :) lol... Whatever... my cpu has been on the 41ºC range for the last 30 minutes and the prime95 has been testing all the 4 cores, with 6500mb all the last 35minutes... still no BlueScreen... except here at the overclockers club xD lol

im on a 64bit win7 ultimate, Stonerboy779

I have to kindly disagree Tjj226_Angel... After setting my voltage on the cpu to around 1.43V, and setting my multiplier to 17x, with 210 fsb, still with the 4 cores unlocked, i'm getting 41ºC on the CPU and 39ºC on the NorthBridge with prime95... stable, for now... i am just a bit afraid, cuz it's my first overclocking... by the way, i allready tried to play dc universe again, and it doesn't feel like it's the same pc... damn... lolol the game got really smooth... and, yeah, unfortunantly i am using an internet that downloads at 1,24... it should be at least the double, but, again, unfortunantly, the wire only gives me this lame 1.24... this is a real download speed... on microsoft's website i can actually download this fast :) lol... we don't have fiber where i live yet... :(

BTW i am portuguese :) lol... Whatever... my cpu has been on the 41ºC range for the last 30 minutes and the prime95 has been testing all the 4 cores, with 6500mb all the last 35minutes... still no BlueScreen... except here at the overclockers club xD lol

Either I am reading this wrong or something isn't quite making sense. I am under the impression that DC online was working just fine at one point and has since slowed down and become choppy. Is that true, or has it just always been slow?

You surpass all the recommended system requirements. So in theory you should be fine running on the system you have without overclocking. Overclocking is still a good thing, but it should not have given you the results it did.

I am going to do some research, there might be something else that is contributing to your increased frame rate.

Either I am reading this wrong or something isn't quite making sense. I am under the impression that DC online was working just fine at one point and has since slowed down and become choppy. Is that true, or has it just always been slow?

You surpass all the recommended system requirements. So in theory you should be fine running on the system you have without overclocking. Overclocking is still a good thing, but it should not have given you the results it did.

I am going to do some research, there might be something else that is contributing to your increased frame rate.

i dont know... i've been playing dc only for the last month, and my problems started 2 months ago... i think the problem was at the cpu... ithink it didnt have enough voltage... yesterday, i got unable to pull hup the overclok, but it wasn't really stable with the four cores, so i locked one, becoming a x3 and pulled upt the multiplier a little more...prime 95 all night long, and voila!!!! i got myself a stable x3 core 3,69 Ghz :) - top temperature 45ºC... im pretty happy for my first manual overclocking, messing with voltages to get this results... xD lol... still i'm a bit afraid of 1.44v....

i dont know... i've been playing dc only for the last month, and my problems started 2 months ago... i think the problem was at the cpu... ithink it didnt have enough voltage... yesterday, i got unable to pull hup the overclok, but it wasn't really stable with the four cores, so i locked one, becoming a x3 and pulled upt the multiplier a little more...prime 95 all night long, and voila!!!! i got myself a stable x3 core 3,69 Ghz :) - top temperature 45ºC... im pretty happy for my first manual overclocking, messing with voltages to get this results... xD lol... still i'm a bit afraid of 1.44v....

Why don't you just upgrade your CPU? Your motherboard is pretty much top of the line, so why is the CPU so............unequal?