i5 2550k

Just wait a month or two, people will get curious, buy the chip to overclock, and then get rid of them. :P

I've now seen two 2550K overclocks, the second one got to 5.3GHz, so they're not looking like they overclock any worse then a normal i5.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But run cooler?

And I have yet to tweak my voltage.

What cooling are you using.

My 2500k at 5.1 with the same voltage hit 80c at load with an asetek LCLC.

Also what were your load temps? If they were much cooler than that, then yes the chips run cooler.

My 2500k is at 5.2 and hitting about ~45 degrees after an hour of load or so. I could probably hit 5.5 if I didn't mind ~60 degree load temps (which I really wouldn't if it meant 5.5ghz :P) I just haven't really tried past my 5.2

(Watercooled though)

Edit: Fyi its at 1.5v in bios for 100% stable 5.2 I could probably do it with ~1.45v and pass a benchmark but doubt it'd be 100% stable.

Just out of curiosity, whats considered a safe voltage range for these? I mean is there a certain range you really don't want to go up into even if your temps are acceptable?

Edited by Gr4vitas

What cooling are you using.

My 2500k at 5.1 with the same voltage hit 80c at load with an asetek LCLC.

Also what were your load temps? If they were much cooler than that, then yes the chips run cooler.

I'm running the corsair H80 watercooler and those temps on the screenshot is at load for superpi 50c

I will run prime 95 tonight for a bit to see what 100% on all cores goes to.

I'm running the corsair H80 watercooler and those temps on the screenshot is at load for superpi 50c

Definitely run WPrime or ITB, Superpi only stresses one core so it isn't going to give you accurate load temps.

@Gr4vitas

As long as you don't exceed 70c for a prolonged amount of time your vcore is considered safe. Most people for 24/7 clocks don't want to go above 1.55V though.

Definitely run WPrime or ITB, Superpi only stresses one core so it isn't going to give you accurate load temps.

@Gr4vitas

As long as you don't exceed 70c for a prolonged amount of time your vcore is considered safe. Most people for 24/7 clocks don't want to go above 1.55V though.

I'm also very interested in vcore safety with the i5 (since I'm new to Intel) I would like to run a 24/7 overclock but I don't want to drop the lifespan of the proc. Is there any evidence or fact sheets from Intel on this?

@Gr4vitas

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can push 5.5ghz at 1.55 volts, im 100% stable at 1.5v with 5.2ghz I haven't even tried to bump it up past that at 1.5v yet I may even be able to sneak out 5.5ghz at less than 1.55v though all that depends on the temps I'm getting, but another .05v on top of what I'm running shouldn't be a huge change, I imagine I'd go from something like ~45 load temps to maybe ~51 tops. The highest I've seen core temp read any core at at any given time (during full load) was 52 degrees but she's generally at about 45. I'd really be happy as a pig in mud if I could get 5.5ghz. Even if I didn't use it for 24/7.

There isn't anything specified by Intel for max voltage, at least as far as I know.

A general rule of thumb is only use a vcore that you are comfortable with. Some people try to keep their chips below 1.5, others say the max is 1.55. If your overclocking with extreme cooling you may even find yourself at 1.7-1.8.

The max Tcase for chips can be found here though: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-2500K%20CM8062300833803.html