building an home server

maxxx15

Hello everyone,i want to build an home made server and upload webpages. . I have googled on this topic but not stisfied with the results. .So plzz help me.

Thankyou in advance

Have you considered paying for webpage hosting it is cheaper than making and maintaining as well as running your own server.

The problem is you can get shot up with surprise charges.

I would say that you need to consider what web pages you actually want to post, and how important they are to you. If you only want to post a couple of funny pictures for just a couple of months, then yes you might want to try to take a look at a hosting business. If you want to maintain a business website, or something of importance to you and others that you want to keep up and running for a couple of years, then would probably be better off running a home server.

Your biggest problem to a home server is cost. Hard drives cost a lot of money, and depending on how you want to run your website, you will need a lot of it.

Can you describe what you want your website to do and how you want to run it?

There are two main things you will need to set up:

1) a computer as a web server

You should start by looking at tutorials on how to set up a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server. This will give you the webserver functionality. I highly recommend the LAMP setup, as it is essentially the same as most of the webservers in the world

2) home router port forwarding / dynamic DNS

On a home connection, you most probably have a dynamic Internet IP, a domestic router, and your home network behind NAT. As such, you'll need to create a dynamic DNS name (e.g. go to dyndns.org and create an account, add maxxx15.dyndns.org) and then either set up your router's DynDNS settings to your account, or use a DynDNS client updater that runs on a computer on your home network (i.e. your LAMP server).

Your LAMP server needs to be set to have a static LAN IP that is outside of the router's dynamic IP range, e.g. router has 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.253 DHCP range, you need to set the LAMP server NIC IP to something in the 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.63 range that isn't taken by any other static IP Ethernet devices. Once the LAMP server has a static IP, you can port forward web server ports like port 80, 443, etc. to the LAMP server using your router's port forwarding (AKA Games & Applications) functionality.

A business website belongs on paid hosting (for many reasons including bandwidth performance and uptime SLAs).

If its just going to be pictures videos ect there are a 100 and 1 free blogging sites out there.

Everything Hardnrg said ^^

In fact there is something called free webs where you can make a simple free website where you can upload pics and stuff.