FRAPS Recording.

TheMainPimp

Hello, i tried recording GTA IV with FRAPs and its great.. FPS is little low for a GTX 570.. 18 - 35 FPS.. anyway, when i leave the game and look at the movie (2 minutes long) its like 3-4GB.. i tried converting it and it came out at 18mb but quality was crap so i tried rendering it in After effects which was good quality but at 100-200mb for 2 minutes.. original fraps video was avi.. the after effects rendered at H.264 or something like that..

Why is it so large?

Hello, i tried recording GTA IV with FRAPs and its great.. FPS is little low for a GTX 570.. 18 - 35 FPS.. anyway, when i leave the game and look at the movie (2 minutes long) its like 3-4GB.. i tried converting it and it came out at 18mb but quality was crap so i tried rendering it in After effects which was good quality but at 100-200mb for 2 minutes.. original fraps video was avi.. the after effects rendered at H.264 or something like that..

Why is it so large?

because its raw, uncompressed video.

when i capture even 720p video from pro cameras in a raw format, it will fill up a 120gb drive in less than an hour, so the 1080 is much worse

try recording at half-size and at a lower framerate. both will decrease the size of the file. But regardless, it's gonna be a big file because it's raw uncompressed video. but just convert it and compress it and then delete the original file and you should be okay.

try recording at half-size and at a lower framerate. both will decrease the size of the file. But regardless, it's gonna be a big file because it's raw uncompressed video. but just convert it and compress it and then delete the original file and you should be okay.

Sorry to sound stupid, but i know how to convert with a programs that are video converters if you know what i mean and i only know how to render in AE so.. help haha

There is nothing you can change about Fraps other than lowering the frame rate and resolution. It's file sizes are always going to be big.

You could try another recording program like Dxtory, what I'm using now. It lets you use whatever codec you want.

Edited by Krazyxazn

There is nothing you can change about Fraps other than lowering the frame rate and resolution. It's file sizes are always going to be big.

You could try another recording program like Dxtory, what I'm using now. It lets you use whatever codec you want.

The reason fraps records in uncompressed is to minimise the load on the cpu whilst gaming.

Converting into a Codec on the fly sounds like it will put a fair bit of stress on the cpu and may reduce performance ingame more than fraps does

The reason fraps records in uncompressed is to minimise the load on the cpu whilst gaming.

Converting into a Codec on the fly sounds like it will put a fair bit of stress on the cpu and may reduce performance ingame more than fraps does

Try it before you bash it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0KqsTa_HpM

Edited by Krazyxazn

The ads only show up in the free/trial versions. Find a recorder that lets you adjust the quality/bitrate to lower your file sizes.

Not sure if these will let you, but here are some Fraps alternatives:

CamStudio

Xfire

PlayClaw

Bandicam

Dxtory

Gamecam

What you really need is just more hard drive space.

The ads only show up in the free/trial versions. Find a recorder that lets you adjust the quality/bitrate to lower your file sizes.

Not sure if these will let you, but here are some Fraps alternatives:

CamStudio

Xfire

PlayClaw

Bandicam

Dxtory

Gamecam

What you really need is just more hard drive space.

I have 1TB so i don't see how that is relevant.