How many TY-140s are Enough

Hey Guys,

This will be my first post on OCC and I didn't want it to be something silly, but how many TY-140s are enough??

What I'm trying to achieve is 5.1GHZ OC on my 2600k with only air without exceeding 80'C on Linpack with AVX

My current setup involves a CM Storm Trooper with 11 fans total:

2xTY-140s bottom

2xTY-140s on the side panel

2xTY-140s On my Silver arrow (Middle and rear, as my RAM is in the way for front)

1xTY-140 Rear

1x Stock CM 200mm Top fan

2x Stock CM 120mm Red LED fans on the hdd cages

(Power supply fan)

Should I get 2 more for the top, and replace that noisy 200mm 110cfm fan?

Also, when first playing with the fan layouts, I tried to put 3xTY-140s in front, and it actually worked - except I could not fit the bottom HDD cage properly

That could be 12 TYs total, and positive case pressure, which is sure to help my GTX570, as it has that reference box cooler

I think you have MORE than enough airflow through your case as it is...you can only get close to ambient in your case. More airflow isn't going to help after a certain point (and I believe you're well past that point).

Hi Stefan,

I was running a Silver Arrow with the third fan and found that at idle the third made no difference, but at high oc's it knocked another 2-3c off, so I don't know if this s80c goal is important enough to change to a shorter heat-sink ram or not, but you are running your TY-140's at the full 1200 rpm and not using the LN adapters right? second, 80c "CPU" temp not the 'Core' @ 5.1Ghz under linpack is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible under air cooling unless you are have very low ambient temps for some reason.

I bought the vengeance ram because I really got tired of my previous OCZ Plats which would bsod a lot - apparently related to SB not wanting to give 1.8v to the ram... the majority of the fans are connected to my motherboard headers, and speedfan says they are running at around 1200rpm... Sidepanel fans are on the Storm Trooper's fan controller, set to max speed

I bought the vengeance ram because I really got tired of my previous OCZ Plats which would bsod a lot - apparently related to SB not wanting to give 1.8v to the ram... the majority of the fans are connected to my motherboard headers, and speedfan says they are running at around 1200rpm... Sidepanel fans are on the Storm Trooper's fan controller, set to max speed

Then i think you have taken air cooling about as far as you can go....unless you want to install some Delta fans, and that is very noisy, and will only make a degree or two difference.

Delta fans? No thanks... just wanted to try my luck with ''normal'' type fans for air cooling... these TY-140s are really cheap these days

yes they are, $15 a copy at FrozenCPU, and they are a great fan with EHFB bearings. I have a stack of them myself and wondered why they are so inexpensive myself.

I am curious stefan, what temps are you getting 5.1Ghz under linpack? ) are you looking at 'Core' temps or 'CPU' temps, what is your ambient, and what is the temp difference if you use the standard OCCT library?

at any rate, nice OC :thumbsup:

$15? that sounds like a lot... I pay only R70 for them...

5.1GHZ needs 1.44v on my UD7 with that load line on 9 (10 gives bsods as windows starts)... this causes like 87'C before I get a bsod on not enough vcore.. which is way too high for any 24/7 oc IMO

I use CoreTemp and the average of the readings it gives me

ambient is usually close to 20'C, as I only play with my pc at nights.

You think 4.8GHZ with 1.35v is nice... try 4.0GHZ on 1.1v, I never see 55'C...

I haven't tried the OCCT thingy yet... will figure it out tomorrow night..

Edited by Stefan

5.1GHZ needs 1.44v on my UD7 with that load line on 9 (10 gives bsods as windows starts)... this causes like 87'C before I get a bsod on not enough vcore.. which is way too high for any 24/7 oc IMO

1.44 set in the BIOS at LLC level 9 is like 1.56 volts minimum under load.