Reasons for piracy

Shifty2105

:rolleyes: You can test drive cars before you buy them. Please stop relating downloading to theft of physical items. I'm not justifying theft (and if you'd stop calling it that we could avoid that VERY old argument that has no basis in fact), I'm justifying downloading a game to try it out before buying it. Nobody loses anything, everyone gains something. Whether or not it is ethical is up for debate.

Sure you can but you do not go down the street to see who has a stolen model of the car so you can test drive it for a month before buying it. Look as for the theft it is really simple, does the software belong to someone else and did you get their permission to have it? Taking something from someone with out permission is theft, layman's terms, easy to understand. We are not talking in a court room where the specific distinction would matter, so put away your lawyer hat. People do lose something, the price they asked for the use of the product.

Court room or not it's how the law is interpreted. You can't cherry pick when the law does or doesn't apply lol. And you didn't address the other posts. How is it any different from letting a friend borrow a movie or a video game or a music cd. By doing that the friend was able to watch/play/listen to the media without having to pay for it. But if you do i tonline all of as sudden people freak out? Heck I should be facing prison time if you only count the number of NES games i've loaned and borrowed with family and friends.

EDIT: just after i clicked post i watched this week's Jimquisition. Which coincidentally covers piracy / copyright. Video is very much NSFW.

Missed that edit last night when I responded, I think Jimbo there has it right really. Obviously I don't agree with him 100% but as far who benefits from copyright and SOPA goes, he's got it down I think.

The Deathmineral the idea that piracy is saving the music industry is BS and you know it. If you disagree with the economics of the industry then do not buy, it is that simple but you can still listen for free and legally so stealing it is not about helping or saving squat.

Do not buy? I don't buy, you don't have to tell me once, I got it down. :lol:

Actually that's a lie, I do buy some of my music, but only when I feel like I'm actually supporting the artist. Just like I should be. :D

How is it any different from letting a friend borrow a movie or a video game or a music cd. By doing that the friend was able to watch/play/listen to the media without having to pay for it. But if you do i tonline all of as sudden people freak out? Heck I should be facing prison time if you only count the number of NES games i've loaned and borrowed with family and friends.

True but did the friend keep it? Did you use it while it was out of your possession? What we are talking about here is not the same as loaning your copy to a friend, we are discussion actively getting a product using a system to by pass paying for it. This is not borrowing? Also they had permission to take it from you because you loaned it to them. Did the pirate get permission to borrow the product?

As for the legal definitions they apply in court for determining the sort and level of punishment that should be addressed on the crime. We are not talking law here as lawyers but as lay people. You guys are seriously coming across like rules lawyers at a DnD game, not cool.

True but did the friend keep it? Did you use it while it was out of your possession? What we are talking about here is not the same as loaning your copy to a friend, we are discussion actively getting a product using a system to by pass paying for it.

What? Do you really not understand why people borrow stuff from their friends? Well just in case, it's so they don't have to pay for it, that's the whole reason behind borrowing anything ever. :lol:

What? Do you really not understand why people borrow stuff from their friends? Well just in case, it's so they don't have to pay for it, that's the whole reason behind borrowing anything ever. :lol:

Really, I only borrowed something when I have a temporary need and if I need it long term I buy it. You however did not address my point in this that borrowing comes with permission to have access to a legal copy.

Really, I only borrowed something when I have a temporary need and if I need it long term I buy it. You however did not address my point in this that borrowing comes with permission to have access to a legal copy.

So whenever you need to cut down a tree in your yard, you call up your buddy and ask to use his chainsaw and he in turn calls Stihl to see if it's okay to let you borrow it? I doubt that.

Now if you're talking about personal permission, just between you and your friend, that's what a pirate does. When aXXo uploads a movie he doesn't say "Oh by the way, this is only for Jim" no, he doesn't specify a person, he puts that content up for anyone to watch. If we're talking person permissions, he can do that, they don't have to be friends for him to do that.

Also, it doesn't matter if you only borrow something temporarily, that's still a "lost" sale to the company. The company doesn't have any input on the situation, you and your friend didn't include Stihl when you shared a chainsaw just like how pirates don't include Sony when they share movies and games.

True but did the friend keep it? Did you use it while it was out of your possession? What we are talking about here is not the same as loaning your copy to a friend, we are discussion actively getting a product using a system to by pass paying for it. This is not borrowing? Also they had permission to take it from you because you loaned it to them. Did the pirate get permission to borrow the product?

Lets say I DL The Sopranos Season 1. I watch them all and then delete them from my hdd. I watched the show and didn't have to pay $25 for the Season 1 dvds..

Now lets say my friend loans me his set of The Sopranos Season 1 dvds. I watch them and then give them back. I still didn't pay for it.

Whats the difference in the end? Either way I didn't pay a dime and got to watch the show. And if I wanted to watch all 6 seasons legally i'd have to pay $150...does $150 seem like a fair price? I sure as hell ain't going to spend $150 on something i'm going to watch once and then sit on a shelf.

And if you want to bring up the legal methods...I did used to have Netflix. I only used the streaming service. I don't want to be hassled with mailing discs back and forth. But I wasn't satisfied with their selection. I'd be watching a show and get through seasons 1 and 2 but then they wouldn't have season 3 online. Or they might not have season 3 and then have seasons 4-5 online...WTF is that .? They didn't provide me with a convenient enough service and in the end I still ended up pirating the missing seasons so I canceled it. And I was happy to pay $10 a month for it. That IMO is a fair price for the service. But the service wasn't up to my standards. When there is a service available that will give what the customers want i'll gladly use it. Until then I say ARRRRRRRRRR YE MATEY.

I know the ruling is 20 years old now but does the Audio home recording act of 1992 still apply to this day? The one that says you can pirate as much as you want as long as you aren't getting a monetary gain from it by selling the things you copied? Or did that get overturned at some point?

Edit: this is an actual question, not a smartass remark, I want someone to clarify.

Edited by Silas13013

Sure you can but you do not go down the street to see who has a stolen model of the car so you can test drive it for a month before buying it.

Now you're just being silly.

Look as for the theft it is really simple, does the software belong to someone else and did you get their permission to have it? Taking something from someone with out permission is theft, layman's terms, easy to understand. We are not talking in a court room where the specific distinction would matter, so put away your lawyer hat. People do lose something, the price they asked for the use of the product.

You're right. Taking something from someone is theft, and yes, it is easy to understand.

I'm not taking anything from anyone when I download something. How is that theft? :lol:

We are not talking law here as lawyers but as lay people. You guys are seriously coming across like rules lawyers at a DnD game, not cool.

You're using terminology that is supposed to be for "lay people" but you're being extremely misleading by calling it theft. I know that you're smart enough to figure out that the language you're using is very biased. :cheers:

Edited by Waco