Overclocking i7 920 past 3.4

exile47

It's quite easy to run voltages higher and get less stability, I wouldn't just ramp up the voltages in a big jump up in value and assume it will be more stable... basically all voltage settings will have a sweet-spot, and MANY of these voltage settings will have different sweet-spots when you change the multipliers and base clock... it's a fine tuning game... I always end up making a spreadsheet cos it gets a bit too messy on paper :lol:

(attached spreadsheet)

I was trying to get 4.2+ GHz stable, and ultimately failed and gave up, but in the course of trying, got a feeling of what kind of voltage ranges were best for each setting. Although mine's a D0, it's the same mobo, so might give you an idea of what to try. Please note again that a lot of the voltages that are stable or good at 4-4.2 GHz are NOT stable at all at lower speeds and can easily BSOD the computer, even at stock speeds.

i7 overclocking.zip

It's quite easy to run voltages higher and get less stability, I wouldn't just ramp up the voltages in a big jump up in value and assume it will be more stable... basically all voltage settings will have a sweet-spot, and MANY of these voltage settings will have different sweet-spots when you change the multipliers and base clock... it's a fine tuning game... I always end up making a spreadsheet cos it gets a bit too messy on paper :lol:

(attached spreadsheet)

I was trying to get 4.2+ GHz stable, and ultimately failed and gave up, but in the course of trying, got a feeling of what kind of voltage ranges were best for each setting. Although mine's a D0, it's the same mobo, so might give you an idea of what to try. Please note again that a lot of the voltages that are stable or good at 4-4.2 GHz are NOT stable at all at lower speeds and can easily BSOD the computer, even at stock speeds.

Thanks a lot! I will have a look and try some more. I've read somewhere as well, that giving to much voltage might cause some instabilities as well. I will try some if the values in the spreadsheet and will give my results.

I have a C0 920 as well. (I think I have it around at 3.6ghz, it's folding in the back room so i dont look at it much). (sorry if I missed it) if your ram is rated at 1.5v and 1600 and your running it under that speed you shouldn't be over volting it,. drop ram down to 1.5v.

If I recall, when I push mine over 3.6 I have to start giving the QPI and core a lot of voltage. If I remember I'll take a look at it when I get home and see what it's set at.

I have a C0 920 as well. (I think I have it around at 3.6ghz, it's folding in the back room so i dont look at it much). (sorry if I missed it) if your ram is rated at 1.5v and 1600 and your running it under that speed you shouldn't be over volting it,. drop ram down to 1.5v.

If I recall, when I push mine over 3.6 I have to start giving the QPI and core a lot of voltage. If I remember I'll take a look at it when I get home and see what it's set at.

I've tried 3.6 using most of the settings provided on the excel sheet. Used 1.375v on CPU. Was stable for 15m on Prime. I know i need more its was just quick test as normally it would blue screen immediatly.

The crappy thing is that is 1.25 (default) and 1.375 just for extra 200Mhz. My ambient is very high (South African Summer), so prime pushes it to 78C. (Ambient about 36C)