Bios Temperature vs control panel temps. Msi

JoJoOx2

I have my motherboard using oc genie II 4.2 ghz. temperature is 69c in bios. Control panel says 52c idle. I don't know which temperature to go by.

My computer will every once in awhile lock up then take me to msi window screen saying checking security options then gives me the blue screen and shut off. But I don't think i should be getting that at all when im using a factory OC. So i thinking the cpu is overheating but whats weird is the blue only comes when im searching the web. Not when im gaming or ripping stuff off cd's on my SSD. Also could it be my cpu cooling system is not working correctly, still seems high for a OC if the bios temp. is what i should go by. Anyone help would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 3.50 GHz

FAN: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)

1,200 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro

Msi 580 extreme lightning edition frorz III

Ocz 120g ssd x2 raid 0

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post your BIOS settings because I have a feeling both of the readings are wrong.

Hope this helps. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot of the bios. ill figure it out tho trying to reply fast.

Check the bios temp at the time i took the Screenshot. was at 66c. i watched it for awhile it jumped up to 68c .

post-82313-0-55145700-1326673979_thumb.png

Edited by JoJoOx2

Just to make sure I am reading right, with a 4.2GHz OC on the 2700K you are seeing idle temps in the 50's???? If that is correct, with such a small overclock, those idle temps seem crazy high! I would reseat your cooler block, because it sounds like something is wrong.

edit: also I use Real Temp 3.67 to monitor my SB i7 temps, dl it and see what it shows. Here is the link

Just to make sure I am reading right, with a 4.2GHz OC on the 2700K you are seeing idle temps in the 50's???? If that is correct, with such a small overclock, those idle temps seem crazy high! I would reseat your cooler block, because it sounds like something is wrong.

edit: also I use Real Temp 3.67 to monitor my SB i7 temps, dl it and see what it shows. Here is the link

downloaded the real temp. Its show idle at 46, 44, 46, 44 for each core. I checked the bios its says temp is at 62c. thats with it oc at 4.2

distance to tj max 53 53 50 54 don't really know what that is.

downloaded the real temp. Its show idle at 46, 44, 46, 44 for each core. I checked the bios its says temp is at 62c. thats with it oc at 4.2

distance to tj max 53 53 50 54 don't really know what that is.

Also i did a load test with Real Temp 3.67 here are my temps...post-82313-0-20979400-1326692062_thumb.png

Revert to stock while this is figured out, the sys will be operating within manufacturer specs, so there will be no need to worry about the sys overheating. While in stock does the sys show crazy temps in bios (which is idle temps)? The temps will be ~ 26c - 32c (estimating don't really know intel idle temp but should be there at startup after a period of time). Comparing the temp in bios to software will only be usefull in idle comparisons or when the cpu has finished a stress test and the temp drops the ~20c load temps all of a sudden and is decreasing a degree every so often. The latter comparison will be a few degrees off.

From my search the max operating temp is 72.6c, so whenever overclocking and then stress testing (as with p95) ensure the cpu stays below this temp. In this situation backing the oc down slightly is required.

So seeing the temperature at 75c with the factory OC Genie II Msi MB P95 stress test that something is wrong with my CPU cooler?

after 5min temps idle at 45 -50c.

Is the computer overclocked by the company where it was purchased?

I have not heard of a factory oc cpu or mobo, but I have heard of a factory oc gpu.

From p95 stress 75c to

after 5min temps idle at 45 -50c.

sounds right.

So after the 5min what does the bios temps read (should be a few degrees lower from entering bios to check).

Also i switched to factory settings no OC. Temperature idle at 36-38c.

After the stress test to idle at this temp is ok, but if the pc is off for an hour and just put on the temps should be ~10c cooler. Also it is common for the bios temps and the temps reported by software to differ to the point where the software reports temps that are higher than bios by ~10c.