What Needs to Be Cooled and What Doesn't

NikoDG

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these should have dedicated cooling solutions (water blocks/heatsinks) in a highly overclocked rig?

• CPU
    • GPU
    • Chipset
    • RAM
    • HDD
    • Mosfet / Volt Reg

I've seen water blocks, and air cooling solutions for all of the above and I decided I'd set up a poll. For these components who thinks a dedicated cooler is needed, or if it is just for bragging rights?

Personally I think if you over clock your CPU, a CPU water block is needed, as well as possibly a mosfet block at high voltage overclocking (though many overclocking motherboards come with built in mosfet cooling as far as I know). If you overclock your GPU you need a waterblock (if you don't want a hurricane in your case). But as for a chipset cooling system, I think that those aren't really necessary, although a full board water block can look gorgeous. Finally, i think RAM and HDD cooling are not needed as the fans built into your case will allow enough airflow to keep them cool.

I would really like to hear everyone else's opinions on this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CPU and GPU are no brainers.

As for the chipset, imo, I think it would be beneficial to add the NB to your loop if you want to do some serious OC with high fsb. Not to mention, adding the chipset and the mosfet will help with the longevity of the components. Plus, it looks really slick. However, if you do not have the money, or want to be frugal, then just watercool the CPU and GPU.

But generally, I have heard people say that it is not worth it because air cooling will be sufficient for the mosfet and the chipset, and that they do not wish to dump extra heat into the loop. And these are legitimate concerns they pose.

Edit: :O Who voted for RAM and HDD?

Edited by PremiumAcc

Depends on what You going to do. And the components If you want extreme overclocks then water is the way to go. One thing to keep in mind is that air does not ventillate well at or neat the motherboard. In some case while watercooling due to the lack of a fan agitating the air as it moves outbound of the case.

For the CPU and gpu being the most important and best suited under water. Overall better overclocks and better lifespan for them both. High end aircooling will do it well but does not do as well as water.

Next is the chipset. If you are going extreme and have the extra money the watercooled chipset is somethig you can do to improve performance and lifetime of components. This can also be done by getting better heat sinks and or affixing fans on the cooler but that in the same respect it will improve there life expectancy as some chipsets run hot at the factory clocks. And ram overclocked gets hot as heck too.

Ram you can do but its really not essential to have. You can get by very well with just a ram overcooler to make the ram actively cooled and that will do just fine. Thought they make ram water blocks its not totally neccesary even of you are grenade overclocking them you should be fine with active air cooling.

The hard drive is really not essential but they make water jackets for them. I can actually see them running hotter as when the water temp rises so will there's.

Watercooling RAM is pretty pointless. Sure, it gets "hot", but it's rated to run at upwards of 85 C and most RAM doesn't ever come close to running that hot even when overvolted and overclocked.

I'd say CPU first, then GPUs, then maybe the VRMs. The rest is a waste of time and money.

Watercooling RAM is pretty pointless. Sure, it gets "hot", but it's rated to run at upwards of 85 C and most RAM doesn't ever come close to running that hot even when overvolted and overclocked.

I'd say CPU first, then GPUs, then maybe the VRMs. The rest is a waste of time and money.

+1 just make sure to have some air movement over the board itself.

I agree.

Even if you felt if you just absolutley needed it, there are plenty of cheaper air based after market coolers. The only time I would ever get cooling for ram would be if I just wanted to make it look cool with the water loops, but really it is a waste of money like waco said.

@OP: tell me again why you aren't just submerging your PC? It would save you a lot of time and it would look awesome.