Swiftech MCP655 in Serial

NikoDG

I have a couple questions about running two of these pumps in serial:

1) If you run two of these pumps in serial will the pressure they generate be enough to get decent flow rates even with quick two quick disconnects in the loop?

2) Do the pumps need to be directly next to eachother in the loop? Or could you have the reservoir, then the first pump, a radiator, and then the second pump?

My loop will consist of a CPU, full motherboard (which is actually two pieces), and a couple GPU blocks for either 7990's or 690's. I'm planning to set up an external platform for the radiators, pumps, and reservoir, which will be connected to my case through quick disconnects. Also I'm hoping to keep it fairly quiet (only run the pumps at 40% or so).

I would run two separate loops rather than run them in serial in one loop. You can run them at full speed, the only noise you'll hear from your system will be your fans.

Yeah, but don't quick disconnects kill your flow rate? Having two loops means twice as many quick disconnects :ouch:

Yeah, but don't quick disconnects kill your flow rate? Having two loops means twice as many quick disconnects :ouch:

They're restrictive, but not massively if you only have 2 of them. I'd just run your pumps flat-out though, D5s aren't loud at all. I'm also for doing a serial loop with both pumps - split loops aren't optimal unless you're okay with higher water temperatures in one of the loops.

one thing to mention with noise is with the Lang D5 or MCP655 (same thing) is to be selective of what reservoir you use. The only reason I say is air entering the pump while its running sounds much like a drop of water falling to a stove top and is an annoyance at least.

If you want to integrate the Pump into the reservoir then I would suggest the ones from danger den or Premochill as they have a much better design to keep the air out. The ones that XSPC off do not do very well because at the pump operating at full speed the air tends to get sucked right back into the pump because the res design. also be weary of swiftechs micro res as it does a terrible job of bleeding with high speed pumps. Depending on case size is going to determine what style you have to choose from in the end. I'm not a fan of apparatuses exterior to the case but its going to be what you want to do in the end of course.

If you are going to run dual pumps then there is this Koolance dual pump bay res. not sure how it performs but it doesn't show any reason that it would not perform well. Also in agreement with some others if you go dual pump then dual loops should be a best option.

If you are going to run dual pumps then there is this Koolance dual pump bay res. not sure how it performs but it doesn't show any reason that it would not perform well. Also in agreement with some others if you go dual pump then dual loops should be a best option.

I have that one. It's a PAIN in the butt to bleed even with a single pump - I ended up modifying mine to use both sides of the reservoir for circulation (water comes in the right side and enters the pump on the left side) and I also removed the clear baffles since they just make it noisier.

It is possible to bleed it without modifying anything but you absolutely cannot have any air in the reservoir to do it. You basically top it off so full that there aren't any bubble to make noise. :lol:

Other than that I absolutely love it. I don't think I'd want to run dual pumps on it unless they were in serial though...the right side reservoir just isn't well designed (the pump inlet is VERY high up in the reservoir).

Edited by Waco

one thing to mention with noise is with the Lang D5 or MCP655 (same thing) is to be selective of what reservoir you use. The only reason I say is air entering the pump while its running sounds much like a drop of water falling to a stove top and is an annoyance at least.

If you want to integrate the Pump into the reservoir then I would suggest the ones from danger den or Premochill as they have a much better design to keep the air out. The ones that XSPC off do not do very well because at the pump operating at full speed the air tends to get sucked right back into the pump because the res design. also be weary of swiftechs micro res as it does a terrible job of bleeding with high speed pumps. Depending on case size is going to determine what style you have to choose from in the end. I'm not a fan of apparatuses exterior to the case but its going to be what you want to do in the end of course.

Admittedly, I don't use a dual-loop, but I have to say that the DD Dual Bay res that I got from you works very well, and I've never had any problems with air hitting my pump. I keep it about 98% full (just because the last 2% is ridiculously hard to fill up due to angling of the funnel with my case), and it adds a nice little bit of style to it.

Danger den and xspc make great dual reservoirs. The only one I can complaint about is the xspc Res with intergrated pump for the mcp655. Other then that just and dual bay Res is awesome. Easy to bleed and the sheer capacity helps bleeding but raises the amount of dye or pt nuke needed.

i have a mcp655 & a danger den dual bay resevoir i used. i loved it, the sound was very minimal (your only really heard the air when starting the loop, but i never turned my system off so didnt hear it)

i was kinda of dissapointed when i realized the real effects of a bigger resevoir,

didn't really have the bang of performance, but looked awsome..

if anything with my mcp655 the biggest change for sound dampening was the padding underneath it. I had changed from velcro originally to a sticky-foam base, and notice the biggest change was from the absorption of the vibration on the pump.