Non-boot drives Win XP to Win 7

gtrdude485

Hey everyone. I am about to upgrade my mobo/CPU/RAM and Win XP to Win 7. I have 2 questions regarding the upgrade:

1. I already know I have to re-format my boot drive. How big should I make the partition (I am booting off of a 5000GB drive).

2. For those drives that are non-boot (I have 3), once I replace the components and get Win 7 installed, can i just pop those guys into the SATA ports and be good to go without losing any data? Is there something else I need to do with those?

Thanks for your help.

1. They don't make 5TB drives, so check that again :teehee: . But if you mean 500GB make it as big as possblie unless you need to make a another(second) drive using that drive.

2.with sata and 7 they should be good to go.

EDIT:Fixed grammar, sorry didn't notice it at first.

Edited by Black6464

Agree with Black. Don't partition the 500Gb drive that will contain the OS. Just leave all 500Gb as a single partition. You don't even need to format it, as Windows 7 will do that for you during the install. Word of caution, make sure you don't have any second or third drives connected during the Win7 installation or it will attempt to put boot files on them.

Other than that, once the initial install is finished on your 500Gb drive, just plug your second and third drives into the SATA ports and everything will still be there.