Opinions on this laptop

Stonerboy779

Here are some other sites if you can be bothered.

http://www.mln.com.au/

http://www.pccasegear.com/

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/content/Home

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php

http://dicksmith.com.au/dsau/home.jsp?gclid=CI-Smv6e4qwCFUdNpgodLAkZoA

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/

As you can see selection sucks and prices are worse with Asus probably being the worse priced over all for price v performance and hp from jbhifi being the best priced. msi from pccg decent but no range.

Stoner, do you have a good contact in the US to just buy a laptop and ship it to you? I almost feel guilty for being able to access US prices.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoner, do you have a good contact in the US to just buy a laptop and ship it to you? I almost feel guilty for being able to access US prices.

Would be nice, however at the cost of shipping plus postal insurance and the price to ship it back if things go wrong really, really not worth it.

Well now mln is on a massive sale atm which is nice :biggrin:

Scrap the JB dv6 in comes the HP Pavilion dv6-6024TX

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (2.0 GHz to 2.9 GHz) (same)

Memory: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 (double)

Storage: 750GB 5400RPM (250gb more)

Optical Drive: LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support (same)

Screen: 15.6 inch diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768) (same)

Video: ATI Radeon™ HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics Card (same)

Connectivity: 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB3.0, VGA, HDMI (same)

Same price better specs $798 and free sennheiser hd201 headphones

There is also this Asus X73SJ-TY019V

Processor: Intel® Core i5 2430M 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.0G)/3M (faster less cores, not a bad thing)

Memory: 4GB DDR3-1066 (upgrade to 8GB Ram free)

Storage: 1.5TB (750GB 5400rpm * 2) (the dual HDDs perfect)

Optical Drive: DVD Burner

Screen: 17.3 Inch LED HD+ (1600 x 900) (massive screen, very nice although not needed)

Video: 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M (N12P-GV) (only the 520 would want better)

Connectivity: 4x USB2.0, 1x HDMI (no 3.0 not a deal breaker but 3.0 is nice)

Price a bit too much even for dual HDD $954 would be nice to find same thing with only one HDD cheaper will check.

if it is a 15" screen most likely it has 1 hard drive bay

but it doesnt matter because you can get one of theseand an external DVD drive

I think I will now settle for this, I can just rip ISOs on my main pc and copy the one I need to the lappy will just not bother with external drive.

However I cannot find any optical drive adapters for the dv6 6000 series that's for the 3000 series and not entirely compatible. I could but would rather not buy it have to mod it to make it work.

Well now mln is on a massive sale atm which is nice :biggrin:

Scrap the JB dv6 in comes the HP Pavilion dv6-6024TX

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (2.0 GHz to 2.9 GHz) (same)

Memory: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 (double)

Storage: 750GB 5400RPM (250gb more)

Optical Drive: LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support (same)

Screen: 15.6 inch diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768) (same)

Video: ATI Radeon™ HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics Card (same)

Connectivity: 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB3.0, VGA, HDMI (same)

Same price better specs $798 and free sennheiser hd201 headphones

I think this is the best the deal, but I did not check out harveynorman.au.

If you want 1080p this is the cheapest one I could find with the best parts: MSI GE620 - 15.6" 1920x1080

MSI GE620 Intel Core i7 2630QM, 4GB DDR3, NVIDIA GT540M 1GB GDDR3, 500GB HDD, DVD Super Multi, 15.6" Full HD, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, WiFi, USB3.0, Windows 7 Home Premium, 2 year warranty.

$919

Edited by Fogel

I think this is the best the deal, but I did not check out harveynorman.au.

If you want 1080p this is the cheapest one I could find with the best parts: MSI GE620 - 15.6" 1920x1080

MSI GE620 Intel Core i7 2630QM, 4GB DDR3, NVIDIA GT540M 1GB GDDR3, 500GB HDD, DVD Super Multi, 15.6" Full HD, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, WiFi, USB3.0, Windows 7 Home Premium, 2 year warranty.

$919

I've seen it and I have been using a lappy with a 15.6" 1366x768 screen for the last two years, it doesn't bother me.

IMO, better graphics card (one that is on par with a 555m), larger HDD and nearly $150 cheaper, far outweighs the screen res.

I think I am fixed on the dv6 from mln will try and find a 600 series op drive adapter to 2nd HDD. That can wait as I won't be buying an SSD for it immediately.

Like I said - agree totally. The HP wins hands down.

Just threw it out there in case you were looking for a higher resolution. Read: it was the only interesting one I came across after going thru 5 sites of laptop surfing :sleep:

Like I said - agree totally. The HP wins hands down.

Just threw it out there in case you were looking for a higher resolution. Read: it was the only interesting one I came across after going thru 5 sites of laptop surfing :sleep:

Thanks anyway, I did look at at as a possibility until I came across the dv6s. Read: very thankful for your time and effort, it does get tiring doesn't it? I have so many prices and specs burned on my brain right now.

Thanks anyway, I did look at at as a possibility until I came across the dv6s. Read: very thankful for your time and effort, it does get tiring doesn't it? I have so many prices and specs burned on my brain right now.

Seriously! I am so glad that I finally picked the laptop I'm gonna buy even though it is going to cost me more than I expected to spend. If nothing more than for what you just said - so many specs, prices ...burnt! :wacko:

Alright so i ended up getting the HP dv6-6024tx and thus far have uninstalled about 20 programs disabled a further 10 from startup and pulled 5 things off my notification bar that don't need to be there.

Other than all that its responding fast and has great cooling

Awesome :thumbsup:

I am sure that I am going to have to do the same house cleaning. Did yours come with a recovery CD or windows CD? Supposedly ASUS is no longer doing that and instead is using a Recovery parition. Not liking that.