Overclocking Preparation

brighter7

Hi there! I'm new to overclocking and making preparations to start. I've got limited knowledge on the more complicated stuff (excuse me for any noobish stuff) so I figured i'd start with stock temperature readings before prodeeding. I'm having trouble reading Speedfan readings because I'm not too sure which one listed is my CPU temp.

temperatureatm.png

My Computer specs are as follows:

MOBO-MSI 790FX-GD70

CPU-AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 140w C2

RAM-Corsair Dominator DDR3 4GB 2X2GB - (One thing I should note that when I bought this RAM, the model displayed on the box was TW3X4G116009DG 9-9-9-24, but a closer look at the actual RAM read another code, odd )

Cooler-Xigmatek Red Scorpion HDT S1283 - (I could not install this cooler vertically and had to use the last 2 Dimms (3-4) to fit my RAM

PSU-Corsair HX1050

GPU-ATi Radeon HD5870 Gigabyte

Here are my CPU-Z readouts-

hahada.png

capture10s.png

capture12i.png

capture11i.png

My idle temps in AMD Overdrive and speedfan are 38-45 *C and on maximum load I get around 54-56*C. Seems pretty high?

Your feedback, suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

Honest to god unless you are stuck on Speedfan then I would get either core temp or real temp. they are an way easier and more accurate program to use.

I think the CPU temp is the temp called "core" but im not sure. IF your that hot while idle im curious what load is. Run prime95 at stok to see what the temps get up too and let us know what it becomes. if it gets over 60c then I would remount the cooler or get a larger one.

My thoughts,

Boinker.

I agree with Boinker. I've never been af fan of Speedfan. Go for either Realtemp, coretemp or HW monitor. They are more accurate and way easier to read.

Was it because of the RAM you couldn't install the CPU vertically? I don't whether those load temp are all that bad, since I haven't used AMD in a while. Try running Prime95 for a little while with the blend test, while recording the temps in one of the above listed monitoring programs. Since Boinker is worried about the temps getting over 60C, then you should stop Prime95 if the temps starts to exceed 60C.

Thanks for the reply guys. Ran a test with Prime95 and the max I get is 56-59 *C using HWMonitor. Seems pretty high....should I take it apart and apply new thermal paste or go with the stock cooler?

p.s-I laid the cooler vertically as the RAM had very tall heat spreaders....been always wondering whether using the last 2 DIMMS would actually bottleneck my system :-/

The ram will likely not bottleneck it. Just your temps. Try redoing the thermal compount and see what temps you get after a few hours break in and see what happens. But for now you are too hot to do any overclocking. I would limit load temps to 55c on that chip.

Also I am not sure if I missed it but what heatsink do you have.

The ram will likely not bottleneck it. Just your temps. Try redoing the thermal compount and see what temps you get after a few hours break in and see what happens. But for now you are too hot to do any overclocking. I would limit load temps to 55c on that chip.

Also I am not sure if I missed it but what heatsink do you have.

I have an old Xigmatek Red Scorpion.......Ok so far I reverted to my stock heatsink which I haven't used yet and I was pretty shock when I hit 80+*C on prime95 just a few minutes in. Quickly shut it down and on idle the temps are around 55-57*C, not very good. I'll switch back my Xigmatek and re-apply the thermal paste and see how things go....

Red_Scorpion_S1283_Front_Angle_Glow.jpg

80C will fry the cpu in no time, amd 's should not go higher than 60 to 65 tops, so I wouldn't run prime until you get the temps down. What number is on the ram stick, you should google it and see what the speed of it is, don't seem like 1600 mhz, mabey 1300 . As Boinker said 55c is a good load temp for that cpu.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Your ram looks...wrong. It's supposed to be ddr3 1600 right? Seems odd it doesn't have spd settings for 800 MHz.

I know right!? I have been suspecting sometime that the RAM I bought isn't as advertised as it should. The sticker on it (box too) says TW3X4G116009DG 9-9-9-24 but looking at the specs on CPU-Z it reads CM3X2G1600C9DHX 7-7-7-27. I smell something fishy here

All that ram may be doing was setting the timings per speed. Go into the BIOS and manuelly set the timings to 9-9-9-24 and use the memory divider to get to 1600mhz ram clock. See if that clears up. Also just bare in mind CPU shows its single rate clock speed so you have to multiply the number they give you to get the DDR speed or double data rate. BTW I owned one of hose heatsinks in the past. I was not very impressed with it. Depending in what case you have you may venture to get a larger hsf or a self contained liquid cooling unit.

My thoughts.

Boinker