Sudden temp spikes

Palmdalien

New HTPC/everyday system that I threw together yesterday and ran a 3hr Prime95 test on just to be sure that it would do ok for everyday tasks.

Case: Silverstone GD05B

Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene

CPU: i5 2500k (although its the k version I left it at stock due to cooler)

Cooler: Going stock for this one due to limited space

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3 12800

PSU: Seasonic SS-560KM

SSD: Patriot Pyro 60GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Optical: Bluray Drive

I just watched my first Netflix movie on here with my 47" 1080 TV and had HWmonitor running in the back round just to see what all it affected and i saw these temps under the CPUTIN and AUXTIN!! (see attached pic) IDK what they measure, on my Rampage Forumla III there are more sensors and diff names but these high temps seem to randomly spike even when the system is iddle as I just let it do and watched for 20 in... they seem to spike at diff time intervals, but never at the same time. As well if anyone knows a cooler besides the stock one that is LESS than 1in taller than said stock but works better I'm all ears, otherwise come summer I might be in for some modding and hook up my H70 from the other rig and go with an H100 or dive into a true WC loop.

post-75941-0-77294800-1321190305_thumb.png

Seems very normal for a system like that. Also I think AUXTIN is the northbridge and CPUTIN is the CPU. Which are both normal temps. With the ASUS Maximus IV Gene and 2500K, That is crazy overkill for a HTPC, that combo should run hot.

Edited by Black6464

Seems very normal for a system like that. Also I think AUXTIN is the northbridge and CPUTIN is the CPU. Which are both normal temps. With the ASUS Maximus IV Gene and 2500K, That is crazy overkill for a HTPC, that combo should run hot.

Maybe overkill but better than under cutting and reverting later. This is also so my wife will leave me alone when I'm gettin down on some Bf3 and such. Doesn't seem to be to hot anywhere other than the 2 sensors spiking like that randomly. The case comes with 3x 120mm game to create positive pressure cooling and effectively so.

Just noticed as well that I have the fastest fans in any system I think.... +65k rpms :P

Fan rpm ratings just mean how loud the fan will be, CFM would mean how much cooling it can do. If your scared about temps, look at your GPU temp during gaming. Now there is some high temps. But you really can't keep the NB cool without water cooling it, but that's only needed if you do serious OCing.

Edited by Black6464

127 C is either an error or something is seriously wrong...

I would have to say it would be an error in part of the Max values. It seems that a fan which is not there is posting a 65k rpm figure, along with the others that are present. That is insanely high, unless you have a turbine cooling set up or something, lol

I have had hardware monitor do weird things like that before. Like a hard drive operating at -10c or a mosfet bank running at 150c. LOL. I don't use it anymore for that reason unless I do not have a choice. Sense its an Asus why not use the AI suit to monitor temps and or PC probe. They are both accurate and if you want you can use AI suite to tune in your fan controller settings. I know its a rog board so you may also check out there website and see if they have there own monitor.

My thoughts.

Boinker