Asus Xonar D2x

Rosco

So I have been using my D2x for a little less than 6 months an with the z5500 it's amazing but there is this little quirk as one would call it that's been nagging at me for a while now. Every time I turn my PC on or of a click sound comes from the sound card ( sounds like a switch being flipped :mellow: ) but nothing broke yet so not that worried about it. Also when I use Dolby or DTS encoding to my z5500 via a optical or coax everything works great but when I play a Dolby encoded HD-movie (Using MPC-HC) and setting the audio device to pass-through the sound is glitchy then when I play a Dts encoded movie everything is fine.... :dunno: I then went and changed the wires around and played the same Dolby movie but this time using my motherboard's pass-through device and everything is fine .

So basically the only thing wrong with the card is that it does not want to pass-through Dolby encoding properly :wacko:

At this point I'm using the sound card as an encoder for every day PC usage end when I want to watch a HD movie properly I switch the output devices (Not that big a deal really as I have a optical and coax cable [optical on mobo and coax on D2x] all I have to do is change the input om my z5500's)

I'm just wondering what could be causing this.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

The clicking noise the card makes is some kind of switch. My card makes this noise too, so don't worry about that.

I would recommend connecting your Z-5500's over analogue. I had my D2 connected over Optical too at first, but then read up on the matter.

Basically the Digital to analogue converters in the D2 are much better than those in the Z5500's. Meaning it is better to have the sound converted at the card level than the speaker level.

As for passing Dolby through, I too had a similar problem when doing this with my D2. It turned out to be a codec setting. I cant remember exactly what I changed (as I was so frustrated with it, I was changing everything)

Have a play with the codec sound settings. For me this fixed the problem.

I tested using VLC (as this uses its own codec) and then made the same changes to the codec for WMP. (FFDshow in my case)